Generic Name and Formulations:
Droperidol 2.5mg/mL; soln for IV or IM inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Droperidol:
To reduce incidence of nausea and vomiting associated with surgical and diagnostic procedures.
Max initial dose: 2.5mg IM or slow IV; may give additional 1.25mg doses to achieve desired effect.
<2yrs: not recommended. ≥2yrs: max initial dose: 0.1mg/kg.
QT prolongation (including congenital long QT syndrome).
Perform ECG prior to administration to determine if prolonged QT interval present; if prolonged, do not administer unless treatment outweighs risks; if treating, monitor for arrhythmias: perform ECG prior to treatment and 2–3hrs after completion. Risk factors for QT prolongation: CHF, bradycardia, cardiac hypertrophy, hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, >65yrs, alcohol abuse. Pheochromocytoma. Hepatic or renal impairment. Elderly. Debilitated. Critically ill. Labor & delivery: not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Risk of QT prolongation with concomitant Class I and III antiarrhythmics, MAOIs, antimalarials, calcium channel blockers, benzodiazepines, volatile anesthetics, IV opiates, other drugs that prolong QT interval. Caution with drugs that induce hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia (eg, diuretics, laxatives). Additive effects with CNS depressants (eg, barbiturates, tranquilizers, opioids, general anesthetics). Possible hypertension with concomitant fentanyl citrate inj.
Hypotension, tachycardia, dysphoria, drowsiness, restlessness, hyperactivity, anxiety, QT prolonation, torsade de pointes, cardiac arrest, ventricular tachycardia, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, post-op hallucinatory episodes.
Formerly known under the brand name Inapsine.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk