Generic Name and Formulations:
Dicloxacillin sodium 250mg, 500mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Dicloxacillin :
Susceptible infections caused by penicillinase-producing staphylococci. Not for initial therapy in serious, life-threatening infections.
Take on an empty stomach. ≥40kg: Mild to moderate infections: 125mg every 6hrs. Severe infections: 250mg every 6hrs.
Take on an empty stomach. <40kg: Mild to moderate infections: 12.5mg/kg/day in divided doses every 6hrs. Severe: 25mg/kg/day in divided doses every 6hrs.
Signficant allergy/asthma. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant tetracyclines, aminoglycosides. Serum levels increased by probenecid. May reduce anticoagulant response: monitor PT.
GI upset, hypersensitivity reactions, neurotoxic reactions, blood dyscrasias; C. difficile associated diarrhea.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Soluble Klotho Levels Predictive of Kidney Failure in Type 2 Diabetes
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Comorbid and Pharmacologic Factors Increase Risk for Gastrointestinal Disorders in Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Hormonal Contraceptives May Adversely Affect Psychological Health in Adolescent Girls
- Obesity Can Negatively Effect Liver in Children as Young as 8
- Recommendations Developed on Gender Equity in Medicine