Painful diabetic neuropathy affects approximately one-quarter of people with diabetes.
A phase 2 clinical trial examined the efficacy of treating painful diabetic neuropathy (PDN) with filorexant, an orexin receptor antagonist.
A systematic literature review evaluated the effect of pharmacologic treatments of diabetic peripheral neuropathy on patients' pain and QOL.
The ADA updated recommendations on prevention methods and pain management for 2 forms of diabetic neuropathy.
Cumulative probability of proliferative diabetic retinopathy worsening was 42% in the panretinal photocoagulation group compared with 34% in the ranibizumab group.
Often underreported and undertreated, outcomes can be improved in this condition with appropriate screening and diagnosis.
For patients with moderate to severe diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain (DPNP), transdermal buprenorphine is effective for reducing pain, but is associated with adverse events.
Among women with type 1 diabetes there are increased odds of female sexual dysfunction and urinary incontinence associated with specific measures of cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy.
Amputations among diabetes patients have declined as a result of improved diabetes health care.
Identifying foot problems early in diabetes can prevent serious and extensive complications.
There was a dose-dependent reduction in pain with inhaled cannabis in trial of 16 patients.
A plasmid containing two human hepatocyte growth factor isoforms may improve quality of life for patients with painful diabetic neuropathy.
Early intervention is essential to treating neuropathy in those with prediabetes.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diet Quality and Glycemic Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Most Foods Containing Fructose Do Not Have Harmful Effect on Glycemic Control
- Effects of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss Maintenance
- Unhealthy Lifestyle and Rotating Night Shifts Put Nurses at Higher Risk for T2D
- High-Deductible Insurance Linked to Delayed Care for Diabetes Complications
- Normalized HbA1c Levels Facilitate Improved Neuropathy Outcomes in T2D
- Parental Perception of Child Weight Status Predicted by Child BMI z Scores
- Fear Impacts Quality of Life for Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes
- AMA Code of Medical Ethics Guides Physicians in Fighting Harmful Online Health Information
- Screening for Hyperglycemia Prior to Steroid Injections for Chronic Pain