Generic Name and Formulations:
Tolterodine tartrate 1mg, 2mg; tabs.
Indications for DETROL:
Overactive bladder with symptoms of urinary frequency, urgency, or urge incontinence.
2mg twice daily; may decrease to 1mg twice daily. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (ketoconazole, itraconazole, miconazole, clarithromycin, erythromycin, cyclosporine, vinblastine), or significant renal or hepatic dysfunction: 1mg twice daily.
Urinary or gastric retention. Uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma. Fesoterodine fumarate allergy.
Bladder outflow obstruction. GI obstruction (eg, pyloric stenosis). Decreased GI motility. Discontinue if angioedema occurs. Monitor for anticholinergic CNS effects (esp. when starting treatment and after dose increases). Narrow-angle glaucoma. Myasthenia gravis. History of QT prolongation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Plasma levels increased by CYP3A4 inhibitors (see Adult dose). Caution with Class IA (eg, quinidine, procainamide) or Class III (eg, amiodarone, sotalol) antiarrhythmics. Additive anticholinergic effects with other anticholinergics.
Dry mouth/eyes, dyspepsia, fatigue, dizziness, somnolence, sinusitis, abnormal vision, anxiety, dysuria, other anticholinergic effects, anaphylaxis, angioedema.
Hepatic (CYP2D6, 3A4).
Renal (primarily), fecal.
LA—30, 90, 500; Tabs—60, 500
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure