Demeclocycline HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Demeclocycline HCl 150mg, 300mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Demeclocycline HCl:
Tetracycline-sensitive infections, including respiratory, genitourinary, skin and skin structure, soft tissues, and those caused by rickettsiae and Mycoplasma pneumoniae; also cholera, psittacosis, plague, shigellosis.
Take with fluids, 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. 150mg 4 times daily or 300mg twice daily. Gonorrhea patients sensitive to penicillin: initially 600mg followed by 300mg every 12hrs for 4 days to a total of 3g.
<8yrs: not recommended. Take with fluids, 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. ≥8yrs: 7–13mg/kg/day divided into 2–4 doses; max 600mg/day.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor blood, renal and hepatic function in long-term use. Avoid sun and UV light. Discontinue if skin erythema occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid methoxyflurane, photosensitizing agents. May antagonize bactericidal antibiotics; avoid. Reduced absorption with antacids, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, dairy products, urinary alkalinizers, other multivalent cations. May reduce effectiveness of oral contraceptives. Monitor prothrombin time with oral anticoagulants.
Photosensitivity, GI upset, rash, blood dyscrasias, increased BUN, hepatotoxicity, C. difficile associated diarrhea, pseudotumor cerebri; rare: esophagitis and esophageal ulceration.
Formerly known under the brand name Declomycin.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Reducing Total Daily Insulin Dose in T2D: 3-Meal vs 6-Meal Diet
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure