Generic Name and Formulations:
Liothyronine sodium 5mcg, 25mcg, 50mcg; tabs.
Indications for CYTOMEL:
Hypothyroidism: initially 25mcg daily; may increase by up to 25mcg every 1–2 weeks; usual maintenance 25–75mcg daily. Myxedema, simple goiter: initially 5mcg daily; may increase by 5–10mcg daily every 1–2 weeks to 25mcg daily, then may increase by 5–25mcg every 1–2 weeks (myxedema) or by 12.5 or 25mcg daily every 1–2 weeks (simple goiter). Maintenance: myxedema: 50–100mcg/day; simple goiter: 75mcg/day.
Initially 5mcg daily; may increase by 5mcg daily every 3–4 days. Cretinism: maintenance dose: <1yr: 20mcg/day. 1–3 yrs: 50mcg/day. >3yrs: as adult.
Initially 5mcg daily; may increase by 5mcg every 1–2 weeks.
Uncorrected adrenocortical insufficiency. Untreated thyrotoxicosis.
Not for treatment of obesity or infertility (unless with hypothyroidism). Cardiovascular disease, angina, elderly: use lower initial dose. Adrenocortical insufficiency. Diabetes. Monitor for craniosynostosis in infants. Pregnancy (Cat.A). Nursing mothers.
Monitor oral anticoagulants, hypoglycemics, digoxin. Estrogens affect thyroid function tests. Monitor for hypertension with ketamine. Toxicity with larger doses of sympathomimetics (eg, anorectics).
Hyperthyroidism, transient hair loss in children.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk