Generic Name and Formulations:
Dorzolamide HCl 2%, timolol maleate 0.5%; oph soln; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for COSOPT:
Open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension where β-blocker alone is inadequate.
Adults and Children:
<2yrs: not recommended. 1 drop twice daily.
Asthma or history of asthma. Severe COPD. Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Overt cardiac failure. Cardiogenic shock.
Mild-to-moderate COPD or bronchospastic disease, or severe renal impairment: not recommended. Hepatic impairment. Surgery. May mask hypoglycemia or thyrotoxicosis. Myasthenia gravis. Discontinue if ocular effects occur. Soft contact lenses (remove, may reinsert 15 minutes after instillation). Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor (sulfonamide) + noncardioselective beta-blocker.
Concomitant oral carbonic anhydrase inhibitors or other topical β-blockers: not recommended. May potentiate systemic β-blockers, reserpine, hypoglycemic agents, and mydriatic effects of topical epinephrine. May be potentiated by quinidine. May inhibit renal excretion of basic drugs and promote excretion of acidic drugs. May increase salicylate toxicity (acidosis). Possible conduction defects, left ventricular failure, or hypotension with calcium channel blockers, digoxin. May block epinephrine.
Taste perversion; ocular burning, stinging, or itching; conjunctival hyperemia, blurred vision, superficial punctate keratitis; possible systemic effects.
Cosopt—10mL; Cosopt PF—60 (single-use 0.2mL containers)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Relationship Between HbA1c and Coronary Artery Disease
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- FDA to Review Gimoti for Diabetic Gastroparesis in Adult Women
- FDA Approves First Mobile App for Use in Preventing Pregnancy
- Hypothyroidism Predicts Atrial Tachyarrhythmia After AF Catheter Ablation
- Treating Painful Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy With Electroacupuncture