Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocortisone acetate 10%; aerosol foam.
Indications for CORTIFOAM:
Adjunct in ulcerative proctitis in patients who cannot retain steroid enemas.
1 applicatorful rectally (80mg hydrocortisone) 1–2 times daily for 2–3 weeks. Then every other day. Discontinue if no improvement within 2–3 weeks.
Rectal obstruction. Abscess. Perforation. Peritonitis. Fresh intestinal anastomoses. Extensive fistulas and sinus tracts. Tuberculosis. Ocular herpes simplex. Psychosis. Peptic ulcer. Glomerulonephritis. Myasthenia gravis. Osteoporosis. Diverticulitis. Thrombophlebitis. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Acute coronary disease. Hypertension. Limited cardiac reserve. Infections.
Postileorectostomy: not recommended. Exposure to varicella or vaccinia. Severe ulcerative disease. CHF. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Monitor adrenal function and serum electrolytes. Avoid abrupt cessation. Vaccinations. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May antagonize insulin or oral hypoglycemics, anticoagulants, aspirin. Hypokalemia with amphotericin B or diuretics. May be potentiated by macrolides, cyclosporine.
Hypertension, fluid retention, hypokalemia, adrenal suppression, cataracts, glaucoma, psychosis, dysmenorrhea, myopathy, neuropathy, thrombophlebitis, peptic ulcer, impaired wound healing, convulsions, local irritation (folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acne, hypopigmentation, macerations, dermal and epidermal atrophy, secondary infections, striae, miliaria).
Aerosol—15g (w. applicator)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Prediabetes a Useful Indicator for Cardiovascular and Renal Risks
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Gut Microbiota Profiles in Prediabetes
- Metabolic Syndrome Associated With Higher ALT Levels in Chronic Hepatitis B
- Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes Show Muscle Metabolic Deficiencies
- Social Support of Autonomy Tied to Better Glycemic Control in Diabetes
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation