Generic Name and Formulations:
Colestipol HCl 5g/pkt or scoop; granules; orange flavored (contains aspartame, phenylalanine) or unflavored.
Indications for COLESTID:
Adjunct to diet to lower elevated serum total-C and LDL-C in primary hypercholesterolemia.
5g–30g daily once or in divided doses mixed with liquid.
Obtain baseline serum cholesterol, LDL-C, and triglycerides, and monitor during therapy. Consider reducing dose, discontinuing, or alternative therapy if significant increase in triglycerides occur. May need Vit. A, D and K supplementation with long-term therapy. Exclude secondary causes of hypercholesterolemia (eg, hypothyroidism, diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, dysproteinemias, obstructive liver disease, alcoholism). Constipation; increase fluid/fiber intake or add a stool softener. Hemorrhoids. Phenylketonurics (flavored Colestid). Monitor thyroid function. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Reduces absorption of folic acid, fat soluble vitamins, thiazides, furosemide, tetracycline, penicillin G, gemfibrozil, mycophenolic acid, others; monitor digitalis, propranolol; give other drugs at least 1hr before or 4hrs after. May affect absorption of oral phosphate supplements, hydrocortisone.
Bile acid sequestrant.
Constipation, fecal impaction, aggravated hemorrhoids, abdominal pain/cramp, gas, indigestion, heartburn, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, Vit. A, D, K deficiencies or hyperchloremic acidosis with prolonged use.
Unflavored 5g pkt—30, 90; Bulk—300g, 500g (w. scoop); Flavored 7.5g pkt—60; Bulk—450g (w. scoop); Tabs—120
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Prediabetes a Useful Indicator for Cardiovascular and Renal Risks
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Gut Microbiota Profiles in Prediabetes
- Metabolic Syndrome Associated With Higher ALT Levels in Chronic Hepatitis B
- Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes Show Muscle Metabolic Deficiencies
- Social Support of Autonomy Tied to Better Glycemic Control in Diabetes
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation