Generic Name and Formulations:
Colchicinum 4X; per gram; 0.25mL per each pump depression; transdermal gel.
Indications for COLCIGEL:
Treatment and prophylaxis of acute gout flares.
One dose (0.25mL–1mL) = 1–4 pumps. Treatment: Apply 1–4 pumps (0.25mL–1mL) at first sign of gout flare, then 1–4 pumps (0.25mL–1mL) as needed up to every hour; max 6 pumps (1.5mL) in a 1-hour period and 16 pumps (4 doses) in a 24-hour period. May be given during prophylaxis at max 2 pumps at first sign of flare, then 2 pumps hourly up to 3 doses as needed. Wait 12 hours, then resume prophylactic dose. Prophylaxis: >16yrs: Apply 1–3 pumps (0.25mL–0.75mL) twice daily; max 6 pumps (1.5mL) in a 24-hour period. Dose modification in renal or hepatic impairment: see full labeling.
Traumatized skin. Secondary bacterial infection of affected area. Concomitant P-glycoprotein or strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (except fosamprenavir) in severe renal or hepatic impairment (life-threatening toxicity was reported with oral colchicine).
Avoid eyes. Discontinue if irritation, sensitivity, infection, or toxicity is suspected or occurs. Increased risk of neuromuscular toxicity in renal impairment or elderly patients. Renal or hepatic impairment. Undergoing dialysis (treatment): not recommended; (prophylaxis): monitor closely. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Concomitant P-glycoprotein and/or CYP3A4 inhibitors; monitor for colchicine toxicity. Concomitant statins, gemfibrozil, fibrates, and cyclosporine may potentiate myopathy.
Skin irritation at site of application; possible blood dyscrasias, overdosage (may be fatal).
Gel—30mL (2 X 15mL bottles)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diet Quality and Glycemic Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Most Foods Containing Fructose Do Not Have Harmful Effect on Glycemic Control
- Effects of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss Maintenance
- Unhealthy Lifestyle and Rotating Night Shifts Put Nurses at Higher Risk for T2D
- Comparative Assessment of Diabetes Outcomes With Physician, NP, PA Providers
- Normalized HbA1c Levels Facilitate Improved Neuropathy Outcomes in T2D
- Parental Perception of Child Weight Status Predicted by Child BMI z Scores
- Fear Impacts Quality of Life for Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes
- Five-Year Efficacy Data Announced for Liletta Intrauterine System
- AMA Code of Medical Ethics Guides Physicians in Fighting Harmful Online Health Information