Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium picosulfate 10mg, magnesium oxide 3.5g, anhydrous citric acid 12g; oral soln; cranberry-flavor.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for CLENPIQ:
Bowel cleansing before colonoscopy.
Split-Dose regimen (preferred): Take 1st dose evening before colonoscopy followed by five 8oz drinks of clear liquids before bed. Consume clear liquids within 5hrs. Take 2nd dose, the next day approximately 5hrs before colonoscopy followed by at least three 8oz drinks of clear liquids. Consume clear liquids within 5hrs up until 2hrs before procedure. Day-Before regimen (alternative): Take 1st dose in the afternoon or early evening before colonoscopy followed by five 8oz drinks of clear liquids before the next dose. Take 2nd dose approximately 6hrs later in the late evening, the night before colonoscopy followed by three 8oz drinks of clear liquids before bed. Consume clear liquids within 5hrs.
Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min). GI obstruction. Ileus. Bowel perforation. Toxic colitis or megacolon. Gastric retention.
Correct fluid/electrolyte abnormalities before use. CHF. History or risk of seizures. Alcohol or benzodiazepine withdrawal. Known or suspected hyponatremia. Renal impairment; consider baseline and post-colonoscopy lab tests. Increased risk of arrhythmias; consider pre-dose and post-colonoscopy ECGs. Mucosal ulcerations may occur; consider when interpreting findings in inflammatory bowel disease. Rule out GI obstruction/perforation before administering. Severe active ulcerative colitis. Impaired gag reflex. Risk of regurgitation or aspiration. Maintain adequate hydration. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Other laxatives, alcohol, red- or purple-colored drink: not recommended. Caution with drugs that increase risk of fluid/electrolyte abnormalities or that affect renal function (eg, diuretics, NSAIDs, ACEIs, ARBs). Oral drugs given within 1hr of start of administration may not be absorbed. Separate dosing of tetracyclines, fluoroquinolones, iron, digoxin, chlorpromazine, or penicillamine by at least 2hrs before or >6hrs after Clenpiq. Antibiotics may reduce efficacy. Caution with drugs that lower seizure threshold. Increased risk of colonic mucosal ulcerations or ischemic colitis with stimulant laxatives.
Stimulant + osmotic laxative.
Nausea, headache, vomiting.
Carton—1 (2 bottles w. dosing cup)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Soluble Klotho Levels Predictive of Kidney Failure in Type 2 Diabetes
- HbA1c Levels Predictive of Liraglutide Treatment Response in T2D
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Comorbid and Pharmacologic Factors Increase Risk for Gastrointestinal Disorders in Diabetes
- ADA Updates Guidelines for Cardiovascular Risk Management in Diabetes
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Hormonal Contraceptives May Adversely Affect Psychological Health in Adolescent Girls
- Obesity Can Negatively Effect Liver in Children as Young as 8
- Recommendations Developed on Gender Equity in Medicine
- Intensive Lifestyle Interventions Cut Long-Term Disability in Type 2 Diabetes