Generic Name and Formulations:
Succimer 100mg; caps.
Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.
Indications for CHEMET:
Lead poisoning in children with blood lead levels >45mcg/dL.
Swallow whole; may put contents onto a small amount of soft food or a spoon and swallow, followed by fruit drink. <12mos: not established. ≥12mos: initially 10mg/kg (or 350mg/m2) every 8hrs for 5 days, then reduce frequency to every 12hrs for 14 more days. Allow at least 14 days between courses unless blood lead levels indicate need for more prompt treatment. Treatment for more than 3 consecutive weeks: not recommended.
Not for lead poisoning prophylaxis. Find and remove source of lead from environment. Monitor for rebound elevated lead levels by measuring blood levels at least once weekly until stable. Monitor for neutropenia; withhold or discontinue if ANC <1200/mcL and only rechallenge if benefits outweigh risks. Monitor for infection, rash. Obtain CBC, serum transaminases prior to initiation and weekly during treatment. History of hepatic dysfunction (monitor). Renal impairment. Maintain adequate hydration. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant other chelation therapy (eg, EDTA): not recommended (may use Chemet for subsequent treatment after an interval of 4 weeks). False (+) results with nitroprusside test (eg, Ketostix).
GI upset, elevated serum transaminases, rash, pain, cramps, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, drowsiness, nasal congestion; neutropenia, mucocutaneous vesicular eruptions (rare).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Gender-Affirming Hormonal Treatment and Long-Term Bone Safety
- Predictors of Disordered Eating Behaviors in Teens With Type 1 Diabetes
- Is the MiniMed 670G System Safe for Children With Type 1 Diabetes?
- Risk for Congenital Heart Defects in Offspring of Mothers With Obesity
- Behavioral Modification Improves Fertility in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- Familial Hypercholesterolemia: An Underdiagnosed Disease Gets a Second Look
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Depression, Anxiety Predict Physical Health Indices As Strongly As Obesity
- Vaginal Estrogen Use Not Associated With Elevated Chronic Disease Risk
- Intraoperative Monitoring of PTH May Simplify Surgical Care for Primary Hyperparathyroidism
- Linagliptin and Cardiovascular Events in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- Private Equity Acquisition of Physician Practices Discussed
- FDA Panel Votes on Novel Osteoporosis Treatment Evenity
- Challenges in Instituting Artificial Intelligence in Health Care
- The Role of Sex Hormones in Primary Headaches: a Review