Generic Name and Formulations:
Nabilone 1mg; caps.
Bausch Health Companies Inc.
Indications for CESAMET:
Treatment of nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy in patients who have not responded adequately to other antiemetics.
1–2mg twice daily; max 6mg/day in 3 divided doses. Give 1st dose 1–3 hours before chemotherapy is administered; use lower starting dose and increase if necessary. May give 1–2mg the night before chemo. Continue 2–3 doses/day during chemotherapy course, if needed, may continue 48 hours after each chemo cycle.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Hypertension. Heart disease. History of psychiatric disorders (eg, bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia) or substance abuse. Write ℞ for limited quantity (ie, enough for one chemotherapy course). Keep patient under responsible adult supervision (esp. when dose is adjusted). Renal or hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with benzodiazepines, barbiturates, alcohol, other CNS depressants and other psychoactive substances (avoid). May affect, or be affected by, other drugs that undergo first-pass hepatic metabolism or that are highly protein bound (eg, sympathomimetics, anticholinergics, tricyclic antidepressants). Cross-tolerance and mutual potentiation with opioids. Naltrexone: see literature.
Drowsiness, vertigo, dry mouth, euphoria/dysphoria, ataxia, headache, tachycardia, hypotension, concentration difficulties, sleep disturbance, other psychiatric reactions (may persist for several days after dosing), changes in appetite.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Trends in Bisphosphonate Use and Hip Fracture Rates in Denmark
- Gender-Affirming Hormonal Treatment and Long-Term Bone Safety
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Risk for Disease
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Familial Hypercholesterolemia: An Underdiagnosed Disease Gets a Second Look
- FDA Committee Votes on Oral T1D Treatment Sotagliflozin
- Elevated Plasma Agouti-Related Protein May Be a Marker for Cushing Disease
- Therapeutic Effect of Long-Chain PUFA Omega 3 Supplementation in Obese Children
- Poor Health Outcomes Associated With Fear of Crime, Violence Among College Students of Color
- Safety of PCSK9 Inhibitors After Heart Transplantation Examined