Generic Name and Formulations:
Methsuximide 300mg; caps.
Indications for CELONTIN:
Absence (petit mal) seizures refractory to other drugs.
Adults and Children:
Individualize. Initially 300mg once daily for the 1st week; may increase at weekly intervals by 300mg/day for 3 weeks based on response; max 1.2g daily. May be administered with other anticonvulsants.
Monitor blood counts periodically, esp. if signs/symptoms of infection develop. Hepatic or renal impairment; monitor urine and liver function tests. Monitor for new or worsening depression, suicidal thoughts and/or unusual changes in behavior; withdraw gradually if occur. May increase frequency of grand mal seizures when used alone in mixed seizure type. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy.
May potentiate phenytoin, phenobarbital; monitor periodically.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, abdominal pain, constipation, blood dyscrasias, confusion, depression, drowsiness, ataxia, dizziness, rash, urticaria, hyperemia, proteinuria, hematuria; rare: SLE, suicidal ideation, psychosis.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Trends in Bisphosphonate Use and Hip Fracture Rates in Denmark
- Gender-Affirming Hormonal Treatment and Long-Term Bone Safety
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Risk for Disease
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Familial Hypercholesterolemia: An Underdiagnosed Disease Gets a Second Look
- FDA Committee Votes on Oral T1D Treatment Sotagliflozin
- Elevated Plasma Agouti-Related Protein May Be a Marker for Cushing Disease
- Therapeutic Effect of Long-Chain PUFA Omega 3 Supplementation in Obese Children
- Poor Health Outcomes Associated With Fear of Crime, Violence Among College Students of Color
- Safety of PCSK9 Inhibitors After Heart Transplantation Examined