CEFTIN ORAL SUSPENSION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefuroxime (as axetil) 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL; pwd for reconstitution; contains phenylalanine; tutti-frutti flavor.
Indications for CEFTIN ORAL SUSPENSION:
Susceptible infections including pharyngitis/tonsillitis, otitis media, impetigo, acute maxillary sinusitis.
Give with food. <3 months: not recommended. 3 months–12yrs: Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 20mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses for 10 days; max 500mg/day. Otitis media, impetigo, sinusitis: 30mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses for 10 days; max 1g/day.
Tabs and susp not bioequivalent; do not interchange on a mg/mg basis. Penicillin or other allergy. History of colitis; discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Renal impairment. Monitor prothrombin time in renal or hepatic dysfunction, stabilized on anticoagulant, poor nutritional state, or long-term use. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: consider discontinuing nursing during treatment.
May cause false (+) Fehling's or Benedict's soln, Clinitest, or Coomb's test. Antacids, others that decrease gastric acidity may inhibit absorption. Potentiated by probenecid. Caution with potent diuretics, other nephrotoxic drugs.
GI disturbances, transient increase of AST, ALT, LDH, eosinophilia, bitter taste; convulsions (overdose).
Tabs—20, 60; Susp 125mg/5mL—100mL; Susp 250mg/5mL—50mL, 100mL
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Prediabetes a Useful Indicator for Cardiovascular and Renal Risks
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Gut Microbiota Profiles in Prediabetes
- Metabolic Syndrome Associated With Higher ALT Levels in Chronic Hepatitis B
- Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes Show Muscle Metabolic Deficiencies
- Social Support of Autonomy Tied to Better Glycemic Control in Diabetes
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation