Cefprozil Oral Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefprozil 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL; bubble-gum flavor; contains phenylalanine.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefprozil Oral Suspension:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections, including pharyngitis/tonsillitis, secondary bacterial infection of acute bronchitis, acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, acute sinusitis, skin and skin structure, otitis media.
≥13yrs: Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 500mg every 24hrs. Acute sinusitis: 250mg (mild) or 500mg (moderate to severe) every 12hrs. Bronchitis: 500mg every 12hrs. Skin and skin structure: 250mg every 12hrs or 500mg every 12–24hrs. All: for 10 days. CrCl<30mL/min: 50% of standard dose.
Otitis media: <6 months: not recommended; 6 months to 12yrs: 15mg/kg every 12hrs. Acute sinusitis: <6 months: not recommended; 6months to 12yrs: 7.5mg/kg (mild) or 15mg/kg (moderate to severe) every 12hrs. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: <2yrs: not recommended; 2–12yrs: 7.5mg/kg every 12hrs. Skin and skin structure: <2yrs: not recommended; 2–12yrs: 20mg/kg every 24hrs. All: for 10 days.
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal impairment, reduce dose. Monitor renal function. GI disease (esp. colitis). Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid diuretics, other nephrotoxic drugs, including aminoglycosides. Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Clinitest.
GI upset, elevated liver enzymes, dizziness.
Formerly known under the brand name Cefzil.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Executive Function Predicts T1D Management Into Emerging Adulthood
- Intensive Blood Pressure Therapy Lowers Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age
- LVAD in Heart Failure Linked to Improved Glycemic Control
- Fundamental Institutional Change Is Needed to Eliminate Sexual Harassment
- Gestational Diabetes Tied to Subsequent Glucose Disorders
- Association Health Plans Can Help Small Businesses Offer Coverage