Cefpodoxime Proxetil for Oral Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefpodoxime proxetil 50mg/5mL, 100mg/5mL; for oral susp; lemon-creme flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefpodoxime Proxetil for Oral Suspension:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections including acute otitis media, acute bacterial exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, acute maxillary sinusitis, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, acute community-acquired pneumonia, urinary tract, skin and skin structures; cervical, anorectal (females only) and urethral gonorrhea.
Take tabs with food. ≥13yrs: Pneumonia: 200mg every 12hrs for 14 days. Bronchitis, sinusitis: 200mg every 12hrs for 10 days. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 100mg every 12hrs for 5–10 days. Skin and skin structures: 400mg every 12hrs for 7–14 days. UTI: 100mg every 12hrs for 7 days. Uncomplicated gonorrhea: 200mg once as a single dose. Renal failure or hemodialysis: see full labeling.
Use susp. <2 months: not recommended. 2 months–12yrs: Acute otitis media: 5mg/kg (max 200mg) every 12hrs for 5 days. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 5mg/kg (max 100mg) every 12hrs for 5–10 days. Sinusitis: 5mg/kg (max 200mg) every 12hrs for 10 days.
Penicillin or other allergy. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antacids, H2 antagonists, oral anticholinergics may decrease efficacy. Potentiated by probenecid. Avoid concomitant diuretics, other nephrotoxic drugs. May cause false (+) direct Coomb's test.
GI upset, abdominal pain, headache, rash, anaphylaxis.
Formerly known under the brand name Vantin.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Soluble Klotho Levels Predictive of Kidney Failure in Type 2 Diabetes
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Comorbid and Pharmacologic Factors Increase Risk for Gastrointestinal Disorders in Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Hormonal Contraceptives May Adversely Affect Psychological Health in Adolescent Girls
- Obesity Can Negatively Effect Liver in Children as Young as 8
- Recommendations Developed on Gender Equity in Medicine