Cefdinir Capsules Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefdinir 300mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefdinir Capsules:
Susceptible mild-to-moderate infections, including community-acquired pneumonia, acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, acute maxillary sinusitis, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, uncomplicated skin and skin structure infections, acute otitis media.
Use caps. ≥13yrs: Pneumonia, skin and skin structure: 300mg every 12hrs for 10 days. Bronchitis, pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 300mg every 12hrs for 5–10 days, or 600mg every 24hrs for 10 days. Sinusitis: 300mg every 12hrs, or 600mg every 24hrs, for 10 days. Renal insufficiency (CrCl <30mL/min): 300mg once daily. Hemodialysis: 300mg (or 7mg/kg) at end of session then 300mg (or 7mg/kg) every other day.
Use susp. <6months: not recommended. 6months–12yrs: Otitis media, pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 7mg/kg every 12hrs for 5–10 days, or 14mg/kg every 24hrs for 10 days. Sinusitis: 7mg/kg every 12hrs, or 14mg/kg every 24hrs, for 10 days. Skin and skin structure: 7mg/kg every 12hrs for 10 days. For all: max 600mg/day; see literature for chart. Renal insufficiency (CrCl <30mL/min per 1.73m2): 7mg/kg (max 300mg) once daily. Hemodialysis: give initial and subsequent doses at end of session (see literature).
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal insufficiency. History of colitis. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Antagonized by magnesium- or aluminum-containing antacids or iron supplements (except iron-fortified infant formulas): separate dosing by 2hrs. Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Fehling's or Benedict's soln, or direct Coomb's test.
GI disturbances, abdominal pain, headache, rash.
Formerly known under the brand name Omnicef.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Testosterone Use Remains High Among Men With Coronary Artery Disease
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- Comparing Osteoporosis Screening, Treatment Strategies in Postmenopausal Women
- Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Risk for Disease
- Cerebral Small Vessel Disease More Common in Individuals With T1D vs General Population
- ADA's 2019 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes Focus on Patient-Centered Care
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Congenital Heart Defects in Offspring of Mothers With Obesity
- Is the MiniMed 670G System Safe for Children With Type 1 Diabetes?
- Gender-Affirming Hormonal Treatment and Long-Term Bone Safety
- Obesity Linked to Lower Gray Matter Brain Volume
- No Evidence for Health Benefits of Nonsugar Sweeteners