Cefdinir Capsules Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefdinir 300mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefdinir Capsules:
Susceptible mild-to-moderate infections, including community-acquired pneumonia, acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, acute maxillary sinusitis, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, uncomplicated skin and skin structure infections, acute otitis media.
Use caps. ≥13yrs: Pneumonia, skin and skin structure: 300mg every 12hrs for 10 days. Bronchitis, pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 300mg every 12hrs for 5–10 days, or 600mg every 24hrs for 10 days. Sinusitis: 300mg every 12hrs, or 600mg every 24hrs, for 10 days. Renal insufficiency (CrCl <30mL/min): 300mg once daily. Hemodialysis: 300mg (or 7mg/kg) at end of session then 300mg (or 7mg/kg) every other day.
Use susp. <6months: not recommended. 6months–12yrs: Otitis media, pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 7mg/kg every 12hrs for 5–10 days, or 14mg/kg every 24hrs for 10 days. Sinusitis: 7mg/kg every 12hrs, or 14mg/kg every 24hrs, for 10 days. Skin and skin structure: 7mg/kg every 12hrs for 10 days. For all: max 600mg/day; see literature for chart. Renal insufficiency (CrCl <30mL/min per 1.73m2): 7mg/kg (max 300mg) once daily. Hemodialysis: give initial and subsequent doses at end of session (see literature).
Penicillin or other allergy. Renal insufficiency. History of colitis. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Antagonized by magnesium- or aluminum-containing antacids or iron supplements (except iron-fortified infant formulas): separate dosing by 2hrs. Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Fehling's or Benedict's soln, or direct Coomb's test.
GI disturbances, abdominal pain, headache, rash.
Formerly known under the brand name Omnicef.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Relationship Between HbA1c and Coronary Artery Disease
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- FDA to Review Gimoti for Diabetic Gastroparesis in Adult Women
- FDA Approves First Mobile App for Use in Preventing Pregnancy
- Hypothyroidism Predicts Atrial Tachyarrhythmia After AF Catheter Ablation
- Treating Painful Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy With Electroacupuncture