Cefaclor Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefaclor 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL, 375mg/5mL; strawberry flavor.
Indications for Cefaclor Suspension:
Susceptible infections including otitis media, lower respiratory or urinary tract, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, skin and skin structure.
250–500mg every 8 hrs.
<1month: not recommended. ≥1month: 20mg/kg per day in 3 equally divided doses. Otitis media, more serious or less susceptible infections: 40mg/kg per day in 3 equally divided doses (may give in 2 divided doses for pharyngitis or otitis media); max 1g/day.
Penicillin or other allergy. Discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Severe renal dysfunction. GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) Coomb's test or glucose test with Clinitest or Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Potentiated by probenecid. Monitor warfarin. ER: antagonized by concomitant (within 1 hr) aluminum or magnesium-containing antacids.
Headache, GI upset, rash, blood dyscrasias, hepatic dysfunction, cough, CNS stimulation, serum-sickness-like reactions.
Formerly known under the brand names Ceclor CD (ext-rel tabs); Ceclor (caps, susp); Raniclor (caps).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Higher Risk for Meningioma Linked to GH Treatment, Radiotherapy During Childhood
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Comparing Antidiabetic Drug Classes for Risk of Heart Failure
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- Ivacaftor Improves Insulin Secretion in Children With Cystic Fibrosis
- Genetic Testing Recommended for Familial Hypercholesterolemia
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Disaster Preparedness 101: Physician Resources for Patients
- Assessing the Environmental Impact of the Healthcare Industry