Generic Name and Formulations:
Aztreonam 75mg/vial; pwd for inhalation via nebulization after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Indications for CAYSTON:
To improve respiratory symptoms in cystic fibrosis patients with Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Adults and Children:
<7yrs: not established. Use a short-acting bronchodilator 15 minutes to 4 hours before each dose; or a long-acting bronchodilator 30 minutes to 12 hours before starting therapy. >7yrs: 75mg (1 vial) by nebulization three times daily (at least 4 hours apart) for 28 days. Use Altera Nebulizer only.
Monobactam or beta-lactam allergy. FEV<25% or >75% predicted, patients colonized with Burkholderia cepacia: safety/effectiveness not established. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Do not mix with other drugs in nebulizer.
Cough, nasal congestion, wheezing, pharyngolaryngeal pain, pyrexia, chest discomfort, abdominal pain, vomiting, rash; chest tightness, bronchospasm, allergic reactions (discontinue if occurs).
To support and assist patients with cystic fibrosis contact the Cayston Access Program at (877) 7CAYSTON. Should be administered immediately after reconstitution. Do not reconstitute until ready to administer a dose.
Vials—84 (w. diluent)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- Reducing Total Daily Insulin Dose in T2D: 3-Meal vs 6-Meal Diet
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk
- Drug Copayments Often Cost More Than Prescription Drugs
- Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery Offers Best Outcomes for Pregnant Women With T1D