Generic Name and Formulations:
Clonidine 0.1mg/day, 0.2mg/day, 0.3mg/day; each transdermal patch delivers dose for 1 week.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Indications for CATAPRES-TTS:
Apply to intact, hairless area of upper arm or anterior torso; rotate application sites. Taper withdrawal of other antihypertensives. Initially one 0.1mg/day patch weekly; may increase after 1–2 weeks; max 0.6mg/day.
Sinus node dysfunction. AV block. Pheochromocytoma: not effective. Conduction disturbances. Renal dysfunction. Avoid abrupt cessation. If local reaction occurs from patch, using tabs may cause generalized rash. Discontinue 4hrs before surgery; resume as soon as possible after surgery. Patch: remove before defibrillation, cardioversion, or MRI. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by tricyclic antidepressants. Potentiates CNS depressants. Orthostatic regulation disturbances (eg, orthostatic hypotension, dizziness, fatigue) possible with neuroleptics. Monitor heart rate in patients receiving agents known to affect sinus node function or AV nodal conduction (eg, digitalis, calcium channel blockers, β-blockers).
Central alpha agonist.
Dry mouth, dry eye, drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, constipation, sedation, rash, myalgia, urticaria, nausea, insomnia, agitation, orthostatic hypotension, impotence, arrhythmias.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure