Carteolol HCl Ophthalmic Solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Carteolol HCl 1%; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Indications for Carteolol HCl Ophthalmic Solution:
Open-angle glaucoma. Ocular hypertension.
1 drop in affected eye(s) twice daily. Concomitant pilocarpine and other miotics, and/or epinephrine or dipivefrin, and/or systemically administered carbonic anhydrase inhibitors may be used if needed.
Sinus bradycardia. Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock. Overt cardiac failure. Asthma. Severe COPD.
History of cardiac failure or heart block. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure. Pulmonary impairment. Diabetes (esp. labile). May mask hypoglycemia and hyperthyroidism. May potentiate muscle weakness. Discontinue before general anesthesia. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate or be potentiated by systemic β-blockers. May potentiate reserpine, hypoglycemics. May antagonize adrenergic psychotropics.
Ocular: transient eye irritation, burning, tearing, conjunctival hyperemia and edema, blurred/cloudy vision, photophobia, decreased night vision, ptosis; rarely: blepharoconjunctivitis, abnormal corneal staining, corneal sensitivity. Systemic: cardiac arrhythmia, heart palpitation, dyspnea, asthenia, headache, dizziness, insomnia, sinusitis, taste perversion.
Formerly known under the brand name Ocupress.
Soln—5mL, 10mL, 15mL
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D
- In Teens, Young Adults, High BMI May Hurt Cardiovascular Health
- Obesity Paradox Affects Type 2 Diabetes Mortality Rates
- Bi-Directional Association Observed Between Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Diabetes
- Real-World Data Show Reduced Fracture Rates in Teriparatide-Treated Osteoporosis