CARNITOR SF Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Levocarnitine 1g/10mL; oral solution; cherry flavor; sugar-free.
Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for CARNITOR SF:
Primary systemic or secondary carnitine deficiency.
Consume slowly in divided doses, preferably with meals; may mix in liquids. Initially 1g/day; titrate slowly; range 1–3g/day.
Consume slowly in divided doses, preferably with meals; may mix in liquids. Initially 50mg/kg per day; titrate slowly; range 50–100mg/kg (max 3g) per day.
Obtain baseline carnitine level; monitor blood chemistry, carnitine levels, vital signs, clinical condition. Seizure disorders. Renal insufficiency (oral forms). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant warfarin: monitor INR.
GI upset/pain, body odor, seizures; inj: hypercalcemia, local reactions.
Tabs—90; Oral soln—4oz; Inj amps or vials (single-dose 5mL)—5
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Prediabetes a Useful Indicator for Cardiovascular and Renal Risks