CARAFATE SUSPENSION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Indications for CARAFATE SUSPENSION:
Short-term (up to 8 weeks) treatment of active duodenal ulcer. Maintenance of healed duodenal ulcers (tabs only).
Active: 1g 4 times daily on an empty stomach for 4–8 weeks. Maintenance: 1g 2 times daily.
Susp: administer by oral route only; do not give intravenously. Monitor for glycemia in diabetic patients. Chronic renal failure. Dialysis. Tabs: swallowing impairment (eg, recent or prolonged intubation, tracheostomy, history of aspiration, dysphagia, others). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid antacids within 30mins of dosing. May reduce absorption of tetracyclines, quinidine, levothyroxine, phenytoin, cimetidine, digoxin, ciprofloxacin, norfloxacin, ketoconazole, ranitidine, theophylline; dose concomitant drugs 2hrs before sucralfate. Additive aluminum load with aluminum-containing antacids. Monitor warfarin.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Case for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Pioglitazone May Reduce Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in T2D
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure
- Greater Bone Formation With Teriparatide vs Zoledronic Acid in Osteoporosis