Generic Name and Formulations:
Caspofungin acetate 50mg, 70mg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for CANCIDAS:
Presumed fungal infections in febrile neutropenia, as empiric therapy. Candida infections of the esophagus, blood, peritoneum, intraabdominal abscess, pleural space. Invasive aspergillosis in patients refractory to or intolerant of other therapies (not for initial therapy).
Give by slow IV infusion over 1hr. ≥18yrs: Esophageal candidiasis: 50mg once daily. Other Candida infections, aspergillosis, or empiric: 70mg once on Day 1 then 50mg daily. Empiric: treat for at least 14 days; continue for at least 7 more days after resolution of neutropenia and clinical symptoms; may increase to 70mg/day. All others: continue at least 14 days after last positive culture. Moderate hepatic impairment: 35mg daily (may give 70mg on Day 1 when indicated). Concomitant rifampin: 70mg once daily. Concomitant other CYP inducers (eg, nevirapine, efavirenz, carbamazepine, dexamethasone, phenytoin): consider 70mg once daily.
<3months: not established. Give by slow IV infusion over 1hr. 3mos–17yrs: 70mg/m2 once on Day 1, then 50mg/m2 daily. May increase to 70mg/m2 daily; max 70mg. Empiric: treat for at least 14 days; continue for at least 7 more days after resolution of neutropenia and clinical symptoms. All others: continue at least 14 days after last positive culture. Concomitant rifampin: 70mg/m2 once daily. Concomitant other CYP inducers (eg, nevirapine, efavirenz, carbamazepine, dexamethasone, phenytoin): consider 70mg/m2 once daily.
Severe hepatic impairment. Monitor liver function tests. Discontinue at 1st sign of a hypersensitivity reaction and treat appropriately. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Elevated liver enzymes with concomitant cyclosporine. Antagonizes tacrolimus; monitor levels. Antagonized by potent CYP3A4 and other CYP inducers (see Adults and Children).
Glucan synthesis inhibitor (echinocandin).
Diarrhea, pyrexia, chills, rash, increased alkaline phosphatase and ALT/AST, hypokalemia, anaphylaxis, histamine-mediated symptoms. Children: also hypotension.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk