CAFCIT ORAL SOLUTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Caffeine citrate 20mg/mL (equivalent to caffeine base 10mg/mL); preservative-free.
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
Indications for CAFCIT ORAL SOLUTION:
Short-term treatment of apnea of prematurity in infants 28 to <33 weeks gestational age.
Maintenance: 5mg/kg caffeine citrate orally every 24 hours. Adjust based on response and serum caffeine levels.
Measure baseline serum caffeine levels in infants previously treated with theophylline (or aminophylline) and in infants born to mothers who consumed caffeine prior to delivery. Serious toxicity may occur with serum caffeine levels >50mg/L. Exclude or treat other causes of apnea. Seizure disorders. Cardiovascular disease. Monitor caffeine levels in impaired renal or hepatic function; adjust dose to avoid toxicity. Monitor serum glucose levels and for necrotizing enterocolitis. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid concominant theophylline, aminophylline (increased toxicity). May be potentiated by cimetidine, ketoconazole, others (may need to reduce caffeine dose). May be antagonized by phenobarbital, phenytoin, others (may need to increase caffeine dose). Caution with CYP1A2 substrates, inhibitors, or inducers.
CNS stimulation, cardiovascular or GI effects, increased gastric aspirate, feeding intolerance, hypo- or hyperglycemia, hemorrhage, acidosis, sepsis, lung edema, dyspnea, renal effects (eg, diuresis, renal failure), necrotizing enterocolitis.
Single-use vial (3mL)—1; Oral soln (3mL)—10
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Case for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Youth-Onset Type 2 Diabetes
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Pioglitazone May Reduce Cardiovascular, Noncardiovascular Mortality in T2D
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure
- Greater Bone Formation With Teriparatide vs Zoledronic Acid in Osteoporosis