BUPHENYL TABLETS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium phenylbutyrate 500mg; contains sodium 62mg/tab.
Indications for BUPHENYL TABLETS:
Adjunct in the chronic management of urea cycle disorders involving deficiencies of carbamylphosphate synthetase, ornithine transcarbamylase, or argininosuccinic acid synthetase, including neonatal-onset deficiency and late-onset disease with a history of hyperammonemic encephalopathy.
Adults and Children:
<20kg: use powder. Take in equally divided doses with each meal or feeding. Mix powder with food or liquid. <20kg: 450–600mg/kg/day. ≥20kg: 9.9–13g/m2/day. Max 20g/day.
Restrict dietary protein, may need to supplement with essential amino acids. CHF. Sodium retention with edema. Renal or hepatic insufficiency. Inborn errors of beta oxidation. Monitor serum levels of phenylbutyrate and metabolites, phenylacetate and phenylacetylglutamine. Plasma levels of ammonia, arginine, branched-chain amino acids, serum proteins: maintain within normal levels; plasma glutamine: maintain at <1000μmol/L. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May be potentiated by probenecid. Corticosteroids may increase plasma ammonia levels. Hyperammonemia possible with haloperidol and valproic acid.
Amenorrhea/menstrual dysfunction, acidosis, hypoalbuminemia, anemia, alkalosis, hyperchloremia, hypophosphatemia, increased alkaline phosphatase, increased liver transaminases, leukopenia, leukocytosis, decreased appetite, body odor, bad taste, taste aversion, others.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diet Quality and Glycemic Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Most Foods Containing Fructose Do Not Have Harmful Effect on Glycemic Control
- Effects of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss Maintenance
- Unhealthy Lifestyle and Rotating Night Shifts Put Nurses at Higher Risk for T2D
- Comparative Assessment of Diabetes Outcomes With Physician, NP, PA Providers
- Normalized HbA1c Levels Facilitate Improved Neuropathy Outcomes in T2D
- Parental Perception of Child Weight Status Predicted by Child BMI z Scores
- Fear Impacts Quality of Life for Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes
- Five-Year Efficacy Data Announced for Liletta Intrauterine System
- AMA Code of Medical Ethics Guides Physicians in Fighting Harmful Online Health Information