Generic Name and Formulations:
Arformoterol tartrate 15mcg/2mL; inhalation soln.
Indications for BROVANA:
Long-term maintenance treatment of bronchoconstriction due to COPD. Limitations of use: not for treating asthma or acute deteriorations of COPD.
By nebulizer: 15mcg by inhalation twice daily (AM & PM); max 30mcg/day. Use standard jet (eg, PARI LC Plus) nebulizer with air compressor (eg, PARI DURA-NEB 3000). Reevaluate periodically.
LABA use in asthma patients without use of long-term control medication.
LABAs increase risk of asthma-related death. Do not exceed recommended dose. Discontinue if paradoxical bronchospasm or cardiovascular effects occur. Cardiovascular disease (esp. coronary insufficiency, arrhythmias, hypertension). Convulsive disorders. Hepatic impairment (monitor). Thyrotoxicosis. Hypokalemia. Hyperresponsiveness to sympathomimetics. Diabetes. Ketoacidosis. Monitor potassium and blood glucose levels. Prescribe a short-acting β2-agonist for acute symptoms; monitor for increased need. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Labor & delivery. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Avoid other sympathomimetics (except short-acting bronchodilators). Caution with MAOIs, tricyclics, or drugs known to prolong the QTc interval; may increase risk of arrhythmias. Antagonized by β-blockers. K+-depleting diuretics, theophylline, aminophylline, steroids may potentiate hypokalemia.
Long-acting beta-2 agonist (LABA).
Pain, chest pain, back pain, diarrhea, sinusitis, leg cramps, dyspnea, rash, flu syndrome, peripheral edema, lung disorder; cardiovascular effects (eg, increased pulse rate or BP, ECG changes); rarely: paradoxical bronchospasm, hypersensitivity reactions.
Vials (2mL)—30, 60
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Soluble Klotho Levels Predictive of Kidney Failure in Type 2 Diabetes
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Comorbid and Pharmacologic Factors Increase Risk for Gastrointestinal Disorders in Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Hormonal Contraceptives May Adversely Affect Psychological Health in Adolescent Girls
- Obesity Can Negatively Effect Liver in Children as Young as 8
- Recommendations Developed on Gender Equity in Medicine