Generic Name and Formulations:
Blinatumomab 35mcg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Indications for BLINCYTO:
Relapsed or refractory B-cell precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).
Adults and Children:
Strictly follow preparation and administration instructions. Pre-medicate with dexamethasone 20mg (adults) or 5mg/m2 to max 20mg (pediatrics) 1 hour prior to 1st dose of each cycle, prior to a step dose, or when restarting infusion after interruption (≥4 hours). Treat up to 9 cycles (2 cycles for induction, followed by 3 cycles for consolidation, and up to 4 additional cycles of continued therapy). One single cycle = 28 days of continuous IV infusion followed by a 14-day treatment-free interval (during Cycles 1–5) or 56-day treatment-free interval (during Cycles 6–9). Hospitalization recommended for first 9 days of Cycle 1 and first 2 days of Cycle 2. Give by continuous IV infusion at a rate of 10mL/hr over 24hrs, 5mL/hr over 48hrs, or 0.6mL/hr over 7 days (not recommended for patients <22kg). <45kg (Cycle 1): 5mcg/m2/day (max 9mcg/day) on Days 1–7 and 15mcg/m2/day (max 28mcg/day) on Days 8–28; (Cycles 2–9): 15mcg/m2/day (max 28mcg/day) on Days 1–28. ≥45kg (Cycle 1): 9mcg/day on Days 1–7 and 28mcg/day on Days 8–28; (Cycles 2–9): 28mcg/day on Days 1–28. Dose adjustments or using 7-day infusion of Blincyto (with preservative): see full labeling.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of cytokine release syndrome or neurological toxicities; interrupt or discontinue as recommended (see full labeling). Monitor for infections; give antibiotic prophylaxis as appropriate. Monitor for tumor lysis syndrome; interrupt or discontinue as needed. Obtain lab tests (including WBC, ANC) during infusion; interrupt if prolonged neutropenia occurs. Monitor ALT, AST, GGT, and total bilirubin prior to and during treatment; interrupt if transaminases rise >5XULN or if bilirubin rises >3XULN. Evaluate if signs/symptoms of pancreatitis develop; interrupt or discontinue as appropriate. Risk of leukoencephalopathy, esp. in those with prior treatment with cranial irradiation and antileukemic chemotherapy (including high-dose methotrexate or intrathecal cytarabine). Elderly. Neonates/infants: risk of gasping syndrome (due to benzyl alcohol preservative). Pregnancy; verify status prior to initiation. Females of reproductive potential should use effective contraception during and for at least 48hrs after last dose. Nursing mothers: not recommended (during and for at least 48hrs after last dose).
Concomitant live vaccines: not recommended (for at least 2 weeks prior to initiation, during treatment, and until immune recovery after last cycle). Caution with concomitant CYP450 substrates esp. drugs with narrow therapeutic index (eg, warfarin, cyclosporine); monitor and adjust dose as needed.
Bispecific CD19-directed CD3 T-cell engager.
Infections, pyrexia, headache, infusion-related reactions, anemia, febrile neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, neutropenia.
Pack—1 (single-use vial + IV solution stabilizer)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Type 2 Diabetes Associated With Increased Fracture Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Use of FSH in Early Diagnosis of Turner Syndrome
- Surgical Treatment Better Than Medical Therapy in Severely Obese Adolescents With T2D
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome