BICILLIN L-A Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Penicillin G benzathine 600,000 units/mL; susp for deep IM inj; contains parabens.
Indications for BICILLIN L-A:
Susceptible infections, including mild to moderate upper respiratory strep infections, syphilis. Follow-up prophylaxis of rheumatic heart disease, acute glomerulonephritis.
Give by deep IM inj into upper outer quadrant of buttock; rotate inj sites. Upper respiratory Group A strep: 1.2 million units once. Syphilis (primary, secondary, latent): 2.4 million units once; (tertiary and neurosyphilis): 2.4 million units every 7 days for 3 doses. Rheumatic heart disease, acute glomerulonephritis: 1.2 million units once per month, or 600,000 units every 2 weeks.
Give by deep IM inj into upper outer quadrant of buttock or midlateral thigh; rotate inj sites. Upper respiratory Group A strep (<60 lbs): 300,000 to 600,000 units once; (>60 lbs): 900,000 units once. Congenital syphilis (<2yrs): 50,000 units/kg once; (≥2yrs): individualize.
Avoid intraarterial, intravascular, or intraneural injection.
Not for IV use. Cephalosporin, imipenem, or other allergy: not recommended. Asthma. Monitor renal and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest.
Rash, serum sickness, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, neuropathy, nephropathy, inj site reactions.
Tubex 600,000 or 1.2 million units/syr (1 mL, 2 mL)—10 (w. 1 or 1.25 inch needles); Disposable syringe 2.4million units/syr (4 mL)—10 (w. 2 inch needles)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Soluble Klotho Levels Predictive of Kidney Failure in Type 2 Diabetes
- Clinicians May Be Overtreating Older Patients With Diabetes
- Comorbid and Pharmacologic Factors Increase Risk for Gastrointestinal Disorders in Diabetes
- Obesity Risk in Infants Born to Women With Diabetes
- Increased Risk for Mortality in People With Diabetes, CHD Taking Beta-Blockers
- Diabetes May Decrease Ability to Feel Acid Regurgitation
- Autism Does Not Affect Metabolic Control in Type 1 Diabetes
- Hormonal Contraceptives May Adversely Affect Psychological Health in Adolescent Girls
- Obesity Can Negatively Effect Liver in Children as Young as 8
- Recommendations Developed on Gender Equity in Medicine