BETOPTIC S Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Betaxolol HCl 0.25%; oph. susp; contains benzalkonium chloride.
Alcon Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for BETOPTIC S:
Open-angle glaucoma. Ocular hypertension.
Remove contact lenses before use; may reinsert 15mins after instillation. 1–2 drops twice daily.
Sinus bradycardia. Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Cardiogenic shock. Overt cardiac failure.
History of cardiac failure or heart block. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure. COPD. Asthma. Pulmonary impairment. Measure intraocular pressure during 1st month of treatment. Diabetes (esp. labile). Vascular insufficiency; consider alternative therapy if reduced cerebral blood flow or Raynaud's phenomenon develop. History of atopy or anaphylaxis. May mask hypoglycemia and hyperthyroidism. Discontinue before general anesthesia. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate or be potentiated by systemic β-blockers. May potentiate reserpine, hypoglycemics. May antagonize adrenergic psychotropics. Additive hypotension and/or marked bradycardia with concomitant calcium antagonists, antiarrhythmics, digitalis.
Transient discomfort, tearing. Rarely: decreased corneal sensitivity, erythema, itch, corneal punctate staining, keratitis, anisocoria, photophobia, depression, headache, bradycardia, dyspnea, hives.
Susp—2.5mL, 5mL, 10mL, 15mL
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Higher Risk for Meningioma Linked to GH Treatment, Radiotherapy During Childhood
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Comparing Antidiabetic Drug Classes for Risk of Heart Failure
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- Ivacaftor Improves Insulin Secretion in Children With Cystic Fibrosis
- Genetic Testing Recommended for Familial Hypercholesterolemia
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Disaster Preparedness 101: Physician Resources for Patients
- Assessing the Environmental Impact of the Healthcare Industry