Generic Name and Formulations:
Dolasetron mesylate 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Indications for ANZEMET:
Prevention of nausea & vomiting associated with moderately emetogenic cancer chemotherapy, including initial and repeat courses.
≥16yrs: 100mg within 1hr before chemotherapy.
<2yrs: not established. 2–16yrs: Chemotherapy-induced: 1.8mg/kg (max 100mg) within 1hr before chemotherapy; or, may give IV soln and mix 1.8mg/kg (max 100mg) into apple or apple-grape juice and taken orally within 1hr before chemotherapy.
Inj soln administered by IV: Prevention of nausea & vomiting associated with emetogenic cancer chemotherapy, including initial and repeat courses in adults and children.
Increased risk of developing QTc, PR and QRS interval prolongation. Avoid in patients with congenital QT syndrome, hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, complete heart block or risk of (unless paced). Correct electrolyte imbalances prior to therapy. Monitor ECG periodically. CHF. Bradycardia. Pre-existing conduction abnormalities and underlying structural heart disease. Sick sinus syndrome. Atrial fibrillation with slow ventricular response. Recent MI. Renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Caution with drugs which can prolong ECG intervals (eg, verapamil, flecainide, quinidine), diuretics, and with cumulative high-dose anthracycline therapy. Serotonin syndrome possible with concomitant serotonergic drugs (eg, SSRIs, SNRIs). Potentiated by cimetidine, atenolol (IV dolasetron). Antagonized by rifampin.
Headache, dizziness, pain, fatigue, diarrhea, bradycardia, tachycardia, dyspepsia, chills/shivers, ECG changes, 2nd or 3rd-degree AV block; serotonin syndrome (discontinue if occurs).
Tabs—5; Single-use vials (100mg/5mL)—1; Single-use vials (12.5mg/0.625mL)—6; Multidose vial (500mg/25mL)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Testosterone Use Remains High Among Men With Coronary Artery Disease
- Higher Risk for Venous Thromboembolism With Oral vs Transdermal HRT
- Comparing Osteoporosis Screening, Treatment Strategies in Postmenopausal Women
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- Free vs Total Serum 25(OH)D as Biomarkers for Bone Health in Older Women
- ADA's 2019 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes Focus on Patient-Centered Care
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis May Affect Brain Development in Children With T1D
- Higher Rates of Comorbidities Among Holocaust Survivors
- Population Health Data May Help Identify Patients at Risk for CVD
- Newborn Genomic Sequencing Can Identify Disease Risk