Generic Name and Formulations:
Oxymetholone 50mg; scored tabs.
Indications for ANADROL-50:
Anemia caused by deficient red cell production. Acquired aplastic anemia, congenital anemia, myelofibrosis, and hypoplastic anemias due to myelotoxic drugs.
Adults and Children:
Individualized. 1–5mg/kg per day for at least 3–6 months; may attempt to lower dose or discontinue after remission. Congenital aplastic anemia: may need continued maintenance dose.
Male breast or prostate carcinoma. Breast cancer in females with hypercalcemia. Nephrosis or the nephrotic phase of nephritis. Severe hepatic dysfunction. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Peliosis hepatitis. Liver cell tumors. Increased risk of atherosclerosis due to blood lipid changes (eg, decreased HDL, increased LDL).
Not a replacement for other supportive treatments (eg, transfusion; iron, folic acid, Vit. B12, Vit. B6 replacement). Discontinue if jaundice, abnormal liver function, hypercalcemia, or edema occurs. Cardiac, hepatic, or renal dysfunction. Monitor hepatic function, blood, and bone age. Elderly. Young children. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate oral anticoagulants. May alter insulin or oral antihyperglycemic needs.
Peliosis hepatis, premature epiphyseal closure in adolescents, edema, hepatic carcinoma, prostatic hypertrophy or carcinoma, gynecomastia, priapism, oligospermia, nausea, jaundice, hirsutism, virilization, male pattern baldness, acne, polycythemia, headache, CNS excitation, insomnia, altered libido, fluid and electrolyte disturbances, suppression of clotting factors, increased serum cholesterol.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diet Quality and Glycemic Control in Women With Gestational Diabetes
- Most Foods Containing Fructose Do Not Have Harmful Effect on Glycemic Control
- Effects of a Low-Carbohydrate Diet on Weight Loss Maintenance
- Unhealthy Lifestyle and Rotating Night Shifts Put Nurses at Higher Risk for T2D
- Comparative Assessment of Diabetes Outcomes With Physician, NP, PA Providers
- Normalized HbA1c Levels Facilitate Improved Neuropathy Outcomes in T2D
- Parental Perception of Child Weight Status Predicted by Child BMI z Scores
- Fear Impacts Quality of Life for Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes
- Five-Year Efficacy Data Announced for Liletta Intrauterine System
- AMA Code of Medical Ethics Guides Physicians in Fighting Harmful Online Health Information