Generic Name and Formulations:
Dalfampridine 10mg; ext-rel tabs.
Indications for AMPYRA:
To improve walking in patients with multiple sclerosis (demonstrated by an increase in walking speed).
Swallow whole. ≥18yrs: max 10mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not established.
History of seizures. Moderate to severe renal impairment (CrCl ≤50mL/min). Previous allergies to 4-aminopyridine.
Assess renal function before initiation; monitor at least annually. Mild renal impairment (CrCl 51–80mL/min): increased risk of seizures. Discontinue if signs/symptoms of anaphylaxis occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Labor & delivery. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Discontinue other forms of 4-aminopyridine prior to initiating. Concomitant OCT2 inhibitors (eg, cimetidine) may potentiate the risk of seizures.
Potassium channel blocker.
UTI, insomnia, dizziness, headache, nausea, asthenia, back pain, balance disorder, MS relapse, paresthesia, nasopharyngitis, constipation, dyspepsia, throat pain; seizures (possible at higher doses), severe allergic reactions.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Reducing Total Daily Insulin Dose in T2D: 3-Meal vs 6-Meal Diet
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure