Ampicillin Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ampicillin 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL; fruit flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ampicillin Suspension:
250–500mg 4 times daily. Continue therapy for 3 days after symptoms improve. N. gonorrhoeae: 3.5g with 1g probenecid once.
<20kg: 50–100mg/kg per day in 3–4 divided doses. ≥20kg: as adult. Continue therapy for 3 days after symptoms improve.
Cephalosporin, imipenem, other allergy or mononucleosis: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and liver function in long-term use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Potentiated by probenecid. May increase risk of rash with allopurinol.
Anaphylaxis, urticaria, GI upset, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Principen, Totacillin, Pfizerpen-A, Penbritin, Omnipen, Amcill (caps, susp); Polycillin-N, Totacillin-N, Penbritin-S, Omnipen-N (inj).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Type 2 Diabetes Associated With Increased Fracture Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Use of FSH in Early Diagnosis of Turner Syndrome
- Surgical Treatment Better Than Medical Therapy in Severely Obese Adolescents With T2D
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome