AMOXIL PEDIATRIC DROPS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Amoxicillin (as trihydrate) 50mg/mL; bubble-gum flavor.
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for AMOXIL PEDIATRIC DROPS:
Susceptible infections including ear/nose/throat (ENT), lower respiratory tract, skin and skin structure, genitourinary tract, acute uncomplicated gonorrhea.
Mild to moderate ENT, skin, or genitourinary: 500mg every 12hrs or 250mg every 8hrs. Lower respiratory or severe ENT, skin, or genitourinary: 875mg every 12hrs or 500mg every 8hrs. Gonorrhea: 3g once. Severe renal impairment (CrCl <30mL/min): 875mg tabs not recommended; CrCl 10–30mL/min: 250–500mg every 12hrs; CrCl <10mL/min: 250–500mg every 24hrs (give additional doses during and after hemodialysis).
For treating acute otitis media: The AAP recommends 80–90mg/kg per day in divided doses (note: this is not an FDA-approved dose). Do not exceed recommended adult dose. >40kg: dose as adults. Neonates and infants ≤3months: max 30mg/kg per day in divided doses every 12hrs. >3months: Mild to moderate ENT, skin, or genitourinary: 25mg/kg per day in divided doses every 12hrs or, 20mg/kg per day in divided doses every 8hrs. Lower respiratory or severe ENT, skin, or genitourinary: 45mg/kg per day in divided doses every 12hrs or, 40mg/kg per day in divided doses every 8hrs. Gonorrhea: ≤2yrs: not recommended; >2yrs: 50mg/kg with 25mg/kg probenecid once. Renal dysfunction: not recommended.
Cephalosporin, imipenem, other allergy or mononucleosis: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln.
GI upset, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, urticaria, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, anaphylaxis), hyperactivity, blood dyscrasias.
Caps—500; Susp 250mg/5mL—100mL, 150mL; Susp 400mg/5mL—100mL; Drops 50mg/mL—30mL
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- ACP Defends Higher Blood Glucose Targets for Type 2 Diabetes
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Common Plant-Derived Oils May Contain Endocrine-Disrupting Chemicals
- Red Meat Consumption Linked to Insulin Resistance and Steatohepatitis
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk