Generic Name and Formulations:
Etomidate 2mg/mL; soln for IV inj.
Indications for AMIDATE:
For the induction of general anesthesia. For the supplementation of subpotent anesthetic agents (eg, nitrous oxide in oxygen) during maintenance of anesthesia for short operative procedures (eg, dilation and curettage, cervical conization).
Adults and Children:
<10yrs: not recommended. Induction: Give by IV inj over 30–60 seconds. ≥10yrs: Individualize. Usual range: 0.2–0.6mg/kg. Usual dose: 0.3mg/kg. Elderly: may need to reduce dose. Supplementation: smaller increments may be given.
To be administered only by those experienced in general anesthesia. May reduce plasma cortisol and aldosterone concentrations; consider exogenous replacement in patients undergoing severe stress. Pediatric neurotoxicity risk with repeated or prolonged use. Renal impairment. Elderly (may induce cardiac depression). Labor & delivery: not recommended. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant IV fentanyl and other neuroactive drugs; may need to adjust etomidate dose.
Transient venous pain on inj, transient skeletal muscle movements including myoclonus, hyper- or hypoventilation, apnea, laryngospasm, hiccup, snoring, hyper- or hypotension, tachycardia, arrhythmias, post-op nausea/vomiting.
Vial—10mL, 20mL; Ampul—10mL, 20mL; Abboject syringe—20mL
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Higher Risk for Meningioma Linked to GH Treatment, Radiotherapy During Childhood
- Early Treatment Intensification and Faster Glycemic Control in T2D
- Comparing Antidiabetic Drug Classes for Risk of Heart Failure
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- Ivacaftor Improves Insulin Secretion in Children With Cystic Fibrosis
- Genetic Testing Recommended for Familial Hypercholesterolemia
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Disaster Preparedness 101: Physician Resources for Patients
- Assessing the Environmental Impact of the Healthcare Industry