Generic Name and Formulations:
Biperiden HCl 2mg; tabs.
Indications for AKINETON:
Adjunct in the therapy of all forms of parkinsonism (eg, idiopathic, postencephalitic, arteriosclerotic). To control extrapyramidal disorders secondary to neuroleptic drug therapy (eg, phenothiazines).
Parkinson's disease: 2mg three or four times daily. Individualize and titrate upward to max 16mg/24 hours. Extrapyramidal disorders: 2mg one to three times daily.
Narrow angle glaucoma. Bowel obstruction. Megacolon.
Glaucoma. Prostatism. Epilepsy. Arrhythmia. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant alcohol. Potentiated anticholinergic effects with drugs that have secondary anticholinergic actions (eg, narcotics analgesics, phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants, antiarrhythmics, antihistamines).
Anticholinergic effects (eg, dry mouth, blurred vision, drowsiness, euphoria, disorientation, urinary retention, postural hypotension, constipation, agitation, disturbed behavior); rare: generalized choreic movements, reduction in REM sleep.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Updated Clinical Practice Guidelines on Testosterone Therapy in Men With Hypogonadism
- Type 2 Diabetes Associated With Increased Fracture Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Use of FSH in Early Diagnosis of Turner Syndrome
- Surgical Treatment Better Than Medical Therapy in Severely Obese Adolescents With T2D
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome