Generic Name and Formulations:
Trivalent, inactivated, "split virion" influenza vaccine (virus types A and B); contains a total of 45mcg of hemagglutinin per 0.5mL dose; formulation changes annually; susp for IM inj; may contain trace amounts of neomycin sulfate, polymyxin B.
Indications for AFLURIA:
Adults and Children:
<5yrs: not recommended. Each dose is 0.5mL by IM inj once in the deltoid. May be administered by needle and syringe (≥5yrs) or PharmaJet Stratis Needle-Free Injection System (18–64yrs only); see full labeling. 5–8yrs: 1 or 2 doses at least 1 month apart (depending on vaccination history as per annual ACIP recommendation). ≥9yrs: 1 dose.
Allergy to egg protein. Life-threatening reaction to any previous flu vaccine.
Use current formulation only. Have appropriate medical treatment and supervision readily available. Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous flu vaccine. Immunocompromised. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: insufficient data (see full labeling). Immunosuppressants: may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions (eg, tenderness, redness, swelling, pain, itching, bruising), headache, myalgia, malaise, muscle aches, irritability, cough, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, increased fever and febrile seizures (esp. <5yrs old, associated w. 2010 Southern Hemisphere formulation).
Single-dose prefilled syringe 0.5mL (preservative-free)—10 (without needles); Multi-dose vial 5mL (contains thimerosal)—1
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Trends in Cardiovascular Deaths for US Adults With and Without Diabetes
- Diabetic Retinopathy Risk Not Increased With GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Use in T2D
- Concurrent Risk Factors and Microvascular Complications in Type 1 Diabetes
- Comparing Efficacies of Second-Line Treatments in Type 2 Diabetes
- Higher Risk for Meningioma Linked to GH Treatment, Radiotherapy During Childhood
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Hypertension Treatments: ARBs
- Semaglutide vs Liraglutide for Weight Loss in Patients With Obesity
- Liraglutide May Lower Risk for Foot Amputation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Thyroid Hormone Levels, Body Composition, Insulin Resistance in Euthyroid Patients
- Behavioral Weight Loss Interventions May Prevent Obesity
- Disaster Preparedness 101: Physician Resources for Patients
- Assessing the Environmental Impact of the Healthcare Industry
- Medical Schools Phase Out Lectures as Education Shifts Outside the Classroom
- Clonidine Testing Is Safe and Reliable for Diagnosing Growth Hormone Deficiency