On laboratory tests, the authors identified an unusual endocrine hormonal profile, including pituitary hormones below reference intervals and gonadal and adrenal hormones above reference intervals.
Study assessed cardiovascular function, quality of life, and mental/physical health in overt and cured Cushing syndrome.
Rates of adrenal insufficiency and hypopituitarism were highest during infancy, particularly among females.
The American Academy of Pediatrics urges careful consideration between parents and clinicians prior to ordering these tests.
Mechanical pain perception and somatosensory function in secondary adrenal insufficiency were examined.
As a result of overlapping features with various other conditions, milder cases of Cushing's syndrome present diagnostic challenges and may require careful observation as well as biochemical and imaging tests.
At 12 years of testosterone treatment, HbA1c decreased to 5.5±0.3%.
The analysis led to the identification of 4 potentially pathogenic missense variants in CABLES1.
The patient presented with symptoms consistent with adrenal deficiency following 18 years of topical steroid application.
After 24 months, bone mineral density was statistically different from baseline.
The guidelines focused on idiopathic short stature, growth hormone deficiency, and primary IGF-I deficiency.
A case report suggested that combination therapy with growth hormone and anastrozole may improve final height in congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
BACH2 is a major risk locus for Addison's disease, according to a study published in the Journal of Internal Medicine.
In the United Kingdom, rates of the disease were highest for those born in December, while in Poland, rates were highest for those born in January.
For patients with hypertension and obstructive sleep apnea, treatment with losartan does not lead to significant reductions in aldosterone, but the treatment is tied to aldosterone reductions in patients with hypertension but without obstructive sleep apnea.
Patients with nonfunctional adrenal tumors have a nearly 2-fold increased risk for diabetes.
A portion of women with polycystic ovary syndrome may experience excess adrenal hormone production.
Left Adrenal Vein Aldosterone Ratio May Help Predict Right-Sided Unilateral Disease in Primary AldosteronismJune 04, 2016
A cutoff value less than 0.5 performed well for right-sided disease, but 5.5 cannot be used to reliably identify left-sided disease.
Alice C. Levine, MD, discusses mild hypercortisolism due to adrenal incidentalomas.
Researchers discuss a case in which a woman was successfully treated with radiofrequency ablation.
Updated recommendations from the Endocrine Society revise aldosteronism screening guidelines.
Chronic hypopituitarism was noted in 44% of US veterans with mild traumatic brain injury.
Four-month-old developed iatrogenic Cushing's syndrome after 6 weeks of intranasal dexamethasone ophthalmic solution.
The first-ever guideline from Endocrine Society on Addison's disease details specifics of diagnostic tests and glucocorticoid therapy.
Acute ozone exposure increases stress hormones and causes alterations in peripheral lipid metabolism in humans.
Both high- and low-dose adrenocorticotropic hormone stimulation tests are adequate for including adrenal insufficiency as a diagnosis.
CT scanning followed by adrenal venous sampling was a cost-effective way to screen for primary aldosteronism.
Guideline focuses on surgical resection to normalize cortisol levels.
Higher evening salivary cortisol levels tied to lower brain volume, worse cognitive function in older people.
The stress hormone may play a role in PTSD and anxiety.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab in Diabetes Mellitus
- Safety of DPP-IV Inhibitor, Cardiovascular Events After ACS in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Transgender Youth Not Willing to Delay Hormone Therapy for Fertility Preservation
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Single Blood Sample Highly Predictive for Subsequent Diabetes Diagnosis
- Plasma Methylglyoxal Levels Associated With CVD, Mortality in Type 2 Diabetes
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- AMA: Federal Government Must Tackle Rising Insulin Prices
- Diabetes Medication Reconciliation May Reduce Risk of ED Visits