The guideline highlights shared decision making among patients, their families, and physicians for the management of congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
Higher levels of aldosterone are associated with insulin resistance and incident type 2 diabetes among multiethnic individuals.
Investigators sought to determine the frequency of metabolic syndrome in patients with nonfunctioning adrenal incidentalomas.
Results from this single-arm, open-label study found that 30% of patients achieved normalization of mean urinary free cortisol (UFC) after 6 months of maintenance treatment with levoketoconazole, without a dose increase (P<.25).
Azedra should be used by or under the control of physicians who are qualified by specific training and experience in the safe use and handling of radiopharmaceuticals.
Administering glucocorticoid leads to entrainment of molecular clocks in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells by regulating BMAL-1 and PER2-3.
Researchers assessed disease presentation and clinical outcomes in an older population of individuals with Cushing disease.
On laboratory tests, the authors identified an unusual endocrine hormonal profile, including pituitary hormones below reference intervals and gonadal and adrenal hormones above reference intervals.
Study assessed cardiovascular function, quality of life, and mental/physical health in overt and cured Cushing syndrome.
Rates of adrenal insufficiency and hypopituitarism were highest during infancy, particularly among females.
The American Academy of Pediatrics urges careful consideration between parents and clinicians prior to ordering these tests.
Mechanical pain perception and somatosensory function in secondary adrenal insufficiency were examined.
As a result of overlapping features with various other conditions, milder cases of Cushing's syndrome present diagnostic challenges and may require careful observation as well as biochemical and imaging tests.
At 12 years of testosterone treatment, HbA1c decreased to 5.5±0.3%.
The analysis led to the identification of 4 potentially pathogenic missense variants in CABLES1.
The patient presented with symptoms consistent with adrenal deficiency following 18 years of topical steroid application.
After 24 months, bone mineral density was statistically different from baseline.
The guidelines focused on idiopathic short stature, growth hormone deficiency, and primary IGF-I deficiency.
A case report suggested that combination therapy with growth hormone and anastrozole may improve final height in congenital adrenal hyperplasia.
BACH2 is a major risk locus for Addison's disease, according to a study published in the Journal of Internal Medicine.
In the United Kingdom, rates of the disease were highest for those born in December, while in Poland, rates were highest for those born in January.
For patients with hypertension and obstructive sleep apnea, treatment with losartan does not lead to significant reductions in aldosterone, but the treatment is tied to aldosterone reductions in patients with hypertension but without obstructive sleep apnea.
Patients with nonfunctional adrenal tumors have a nearly 2-fold increased risk for diabetes.
A portion of women with polycystic ovary syndrome may experience excess adrenal hormone production.
Left Adrenal Vein Aldosterone Ratio May Help Predict Right-Sided Unilateral Disease in Primary AldosteronismJune 04, 2016
A cutoff value less than 0.5 performed well for right-sided disease, but 5.5 cannot be used to reliably identify left-sided disease.
Alice C. Levine, MD, discusses mild hypercortisolism due to adrenal incidentalomas.
Researchers discuss a case in which a woman was successfully treated with radiofrequency ablation.
Updated recommendations from the Endocrine Society revise aldosteronism screening guidelines.
Chronic hypopituitarism was noted in 44% of US veterans with mild traumatic brain injury.
Four-month-old developed iatrogenic Cushing's syndrome after 6 weeks of intranasal dexamethasone ophthalmic solution.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Testosterone Use Remains High Among Men With Coronary Artery Disease
- Higher Risk for Venous Thromboembolism With Oral vs Transdermal HRT
- Comparing Osteoporosis Screening, Treatment Strategies in Postmenopausal Women
- Maternal Thyroid Function in Pregnancy Linked to Childhood Risk for Disease
- Primary Characteristics of PCOS Predictive of Obstetric Complications
- ADA's 2019 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes Focus on Patient-Centered Care
- Sleep Habits Affect Insulin Sensitivity in Adolescents With Overweight, Obesity
- Levothyroxine Associated With Increased Mortality in Patients With Heart Failure
- Head-to-Head Comparison of Professional vs Personal CGM Systems in T1D
- Dual vs Triple Therapy for Metformin Treatment Intensification in Type 2 Diabetes
- Insulin Analogs vs Regular Human Insulin for Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis May Affect Brain Development in Children With T1D
- Higher Rates of Comorbidities Among Holocaust Survivors
- Population Health Data May Help Identify Patients at Risk for CVD
- Newborn Genomic Sequencing Can Identify Disease Risk