Adenosine Prefilled Syringes Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Adenosine 3mg/mL; soln for IV inj; preservative-free.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Adenosine Prefilled Syringes:
Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT), including that associated with accessory bypass tracts (Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome).
Give peripherally by rapid bolus either directly into vein or through IV line (followed by saline flush) over 1–2 seconds. Initially 6mg; if no result within 1–2 mins, may give 12mg; may repeat a second 12mg dose if needed. Max 12mg/dose.
<50kg: Give centrally or peripherally by rapid IV bolus, followed by saline flush. Initially 0.05–0.1mg/kg; if no conversion of PSVT within 1–2 mins, may give incrementally higher doses, increasing the amount by 0.05–0.1mg/kg. Continue until sinus rhythm is established, or max single dose of 0.3mg/kg is used. ≥50kg: as adult.
Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block, sick sinus syndrome, unless paced.
Attempt vagal maneuvers, when clinically advisable, before administration. Discontinue if high-level heart block occurs. Avoid in asthma. Obstructive lung disease (eg, emphysema, bronchitis). Discontinue if severe respiratory difficulties occur. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Concomitant digoxin +/– verapamil may cause ventricular fibrillation. Potentiated by dipyridamole. Antagonized by methylxanthines (eg, caffeine, theophylline). Carbamazepine may increase degree of heart block.
Facial flushing, dyspnea, chest pressure, nausea, headache, lightheadedness, numbness, arrhythmias at time of conversion; rare: ventricular fibrillation.
Formerly known under the brand name Adenocard.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Cushing Syndrome Results in Poor Quality of Life Even After Remission
- DPP-4 Inhibitors and Incidence of Rheumatoid Arthritis in Type 2 Diabetes
- Cost-Benefit Analysis of Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Nonfunctioning Adrenal Incidentaloma Associated With Metabolic Syndrome
- Low Predictive Power of Biomarkers for Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate Decline
- Nutraceuticals May Benefit Patients Who Are Statin Intolerant
- Link Between Gestational Diabetes and Risk for CVD and Diabetes in Hispanic/Latina Population
- Clinical Characteristics Altering Risks and Benefits of Sulfonylureas and Thiazolidinedione Therapy in T2D
- 6 Factors Related to Inclusion in Health Care Workplace Identified
- Weight Gain After Quitting Smoking May Increase Risk for T2D