ACETAZOLAMIDE INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Acetazolamide 500mg/vial; pwd for inj after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for ACETAZOLAMIDE INJECTION:
Give by IV inj. Edema: give 1–2 days on, 1 day off. 250mg–375mg once daily. CHF: 250–375mg once daily in the AM. Acute high altitude sickness: see literature.
Hypokalemia. Hyponatremia. Severe renal, hepatic, or adrenocortical impairment. Hyperchloremic acidosis. Cirrhosis. Chronic noncongestive angle-closure glaucoma. Sulfonamide allergy.
Respiratory impairment. Renal calcium calculi. Diabetes. Gout. Monitor blood and electrolytes. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Inhibits renal excretion of basic drugs and promotes excretion of acidic drugs. May increase toxicity of salicylates (acidosis), folic acid antagonists. Hypokalemia with corticosteroids, potassium wasting diuretics. Monitor phenytoin, primidone, antihyperglycemics, quinidine, lithium, cyclosporine. Antagonizes methenamine.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.
Anorexia, drowsiness, confusion, malaise, depression, GI distress, paresthesias, tinnitus, acidosis, initial hypokalemia, hyperuricemia, transient myopia; renal calculi, nephrotoxicity, hepatic dysfunction, blood dyscrasias, rash, fever, photosensitivity (rare).
Formerly known under the brand name Diamox.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Effect of Growth Hormone Treatment on BMD in Adults With Prader-Willi Syndrome
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Metformin May Improve Pregnancy Outcomes in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
- HbA1c Levels Affect Serum Phospholipids, Inflammation inT2D, CVD
- No Cardiovascular Benefit With Fenofibrate in T2D and Hypertriglyceridemia
- Cardiovascular Function May Improve After Cure of Cushing Syndrome
- Primary Prevention Outcomes With Aspirin in T2D and Heart Failure