Generic Name and Formulations:
Zafirlukast 10mg, 20mg; tabs.
Indications for ACCOLATE:
Prophylaxis and chronic treatment of asthma.
Take 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. 20mg twice daily.
Take 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. <5yrs: not recommended. 5–11yrs: 10mg twice daily.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack. Discontinue if clinical symptoms of liver dysfunction occur; do not resume if confirmed by lab results. Caution when withdrawing from oral steroids. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates warfarin (monitor PT and adjust warfarin dose). Caution with drugs metabolized by CYP2C9 (eg, tolbutamide, phenytoin, carbamazepine) or CYP3A4 (eg, dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers, cyclosporine, cisapride). Zafirlukast plasma levels reduced by erythromycin, theophylline. Zafirlukast plasma levels increased by aspirin. May increase theophylline levels.
Leukotriene receptor antagonist.
Headache, infection, GI upset, pain, fever; neuropsychiatric events (eg, insomnia, depression); rarely, hepatic dysfunction (esp. in females), agranulocytosis.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- GLP-1 Agonists Superior to DPP-4 Inhibitors for Reducing HbA1c, Weight in T2D
- Effect of HbA1c and Perioperative Glucose on Postoperative Mortality
- Semaglutide May Be Useful for Treating Obesity in People Without Diabetes
- Once-Daily Oral Contraceptive for Men Shows Promise
- Reducing Total Daily Insulin Dose in T2D: 3-Meal vs 6-Meal Diet
- American College of Physicians Releases 4 Guidelines for HbA1c Targets in T2D
- Dyslipidemia Drug Indications
- No Difference in Weight Loss Outcomes With Low-Fat vs Low-Carbohydrate Diet
- Damaging Effects of Gastric Bypass Surgery on Bone Mass and Microarchitecture
- Gastric Bypass Surgery Linked to Increased Risk for Nonvertebral Fractures
- Effect of High Androgen Levels on Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- Fertility in Women Negatively Affected by Asthma Medications
- Glucocorticoid Use in COPD Does Not Increase Fracture Risk
- Drug Copayments Often Cost More Than Prescription Drugs
- Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery Offers Best Outcomes for Pregnant Women With T1D