ZARONTIN SYRUP Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethosuximide 250mg/5mL; oral soln; raspberry flavor.
Indications for ZARONTIN SYRUP:
Initially: 500mg daily. Increase every 4–7 days by 250mg daily according to response; max 1.5g daily in divided doses.
<3yrs: not established. 3–6yrs: initially 250mg daily. >6yrs: initially 500mg daily. Increase both every 4–7 days by 250mg daily according to response; max 1.5g daily in divided doses. Usual maintenance: 20mg/kg/day in divided doses.
Impaired hepatic or renal function. May precipitate tonic-clonic seizures. Discontinue at 1st sign of rash; consider alternative therapy if signs/symptoms of Stevens-Johnson syndrome occurs. Evaluate immediately if signs/symptoms of DRESS/multi-organ hypersensitivity develop; discontinue if no alternative etiology. Monitor for depression, suicidal ideation, unusual changes in mood/behavior. Monitor CBCs, kidney and liver function periodically. Change dose gradually. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Monitor phenytoin, phenobarbital, valproic acid, other AEDs.
Blood dyscrasias, drowsiness, ataxia, dizziness, headache, GI upset, CNS and psychiatric effects, rash (may be fatal), SLE, DRESS, gingival hyperplasia.
Caps, syrup (YES)
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Higher BUN May Increase Risk for Incident Diabetes
- Efficacy of Novel GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Drug Device Examined
- Takeout Food May Increase Adverse Health Consequences in Children
- Nonhormonal Options Available for Menopause Symptom Relief
- Plasma Volume Changes Mediate Risk of CV Mortality With Empagliflozin
- New Consensus Recommendations on Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Does Genetic Susceptibility Lead to Late-Onset Type 1 Diabetes?
- Clinical Outcomes in T2D: Low-Carbohydrate vs Calorie-Restricted Diet
- New Continuous Glucose Monitoring System Now Available for Medicare Patients
- Text Message-Delivered Interventions Effective for Weight Management
- Effect of Intra-Articular Depot Betamethasone on Insulin Resistance in T2D
- Gastric Bypass vs Sleeve Gastrectomy Outcomes in Morbid Obesity
- Acute Kidney Injury Increases Risk for Postdischarge Hypoglycemia in Diabetes
- Novel Deep Learning System May Help Identify Diabetic Retinopathy
- Trends in CVD, Risk Factors, and Medications in Children With T1D