ZANTAC INJECTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ranitidine (as HCl) 25mg/mL; IM or IV inj; contains phenol.
Indications for ZANTAC INJECTION:
Hospitalized patients with pathological hypersecretory conditions, intractable duodenal ulcer. Short-term alternative to oral therapy.
>16yrs: 50mg every 6–8 hrs by IM inj, or intermittent IV bolus (dilute; give over 5 min), or intermittent IV (dilute; give over 15–20 min); usual max 400mg/day. Continuous IV infusion, or for Zollinger-Ellison: see literature. Renal impairment (CrCl <50mL/min): 50mg every 18–24hrs or more often if needed (intermittent only). Coincide a dose for end of hemodialysis.
<1month: not recommended. ≥1month–16yrs: Treatment of duodenal ulcer: 2–4mg/kg per day in divided doses every 6–8hrs; max 50mg every 6–8hrs.
History of acute porphyria: not recommended. Renal impairment: reduce dose. Hepatic dysfunction. Discontinue if hepatic disorders occur. Monitor SGPT if on high-dose IV therapy for ≥5 days. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May increase triazolam, midazolam, glipizide, procainamide levels. May decrease ketoconazole, atazanavir, delaviridine, gefitnib levels. Monitor anticoagulants. May cause false (+) urine protein test with Multistix.
Headache, GI disturbances, jaundice, hepatitis, rash; rare: CNS disturbances, arrhythmias, blurred vision, arthralgia, myalgia, inj site reactions, blood dyscrasias, anaphylaxis, angioneurotic edema, acute interstitial nephritis, bradycardia with rapid administration (IV); increased risk of pneumonia (see literature).
Tabs 150mg—60, 180, 500; 300mg—30; EFFERdose tabs—60; Syrup—pt; Inj single dose 2mL—10; Multidose 6mL—1; Premixed 50mL—24
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Update on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements for Reducing Fracture Risk
- AAP Shares List of 5 Unnecessary Pediatric Tests and Procedures
- Lower Risk for SGLT2i-Associated Genitourinary Infection With DPP-4i
- Severe Hypoglycemia Associated With Increased Mortality Risk in T2D
- Efficacy of CGM in Preterm Infants of Mothers With Diabetes
- High Grip Strength Associated With Lower Risk for Diabetes-Related AEs
- Statin Use for CVD Prevention Increases Diabetes Risk in Overweight Patients
- Optimal Timing of Gastric Bypass and Cholecystectomy When Both Procedures Clinically Indicated
- Does Asthma Contribute to Infertility?
- Short-Term Probiotics Increase Weight Loss in Overweight, Obesity