ZANAFLEX TABLETS Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tizanidine HCl 4mg (quadrisecting score); tabs.
Indications for ZANAFLEX TABLETS:
Muscle spasticity (due to its short duration of action reserve for when relief is most important).
Initially: usually 4mg, may increase by 2–4mg as needed every 6–8 hrs to a max of 3 doses in 24hrs; max 12mg/dose and 36mg/day. Renal impairment (CrCl <25mL/min): reduce dose. May sprinkle contents of capsules on applesauce (may affect absorption). Tabs and caps not bioequivalent under fed conditions. See literature.
Concomitant fluvoxamine, ciprofloxacin.
Hepatic dysfunction. Monitor ophthalmic and liver function (aminotransferases at baseline, 1, 3, 6 months, then periodically) and for orthostatic hypotension. Renal dysfunction. Cardiovascular disease. Avoid abrupt cessation. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid other α2-agonists (eg, clonidine). Hypotension possible with other antihypertensives. Avoid concomitant use with other CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, amiodarone, mexiletine, propafenone, verapamil, cimetidine, famotidine, other fluoroquinolones, oral contraceptives, acyclovir, ticlopidine, zileuton); if clinically necessary, use caution. May potentiate CNS depression with alcohol, baclofen, benzodiazepines, other CNS depressants.
Dry mouth, somnolence, asthenia, dizziness, UTI, constipation, liver injury or elevated liver enzymes, vomiting, speech disorder, blurred vision, dyskinesia, nervousness, pharyngitis, hypotension, bradycardia, hallucinations/psychosis.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Fasting Glycemic Variability Indicates Increased Risk for Type 2 Diabetes
- Heritability of BMI Stronger in Obesogenic Environments
- Adverse Events Associated With Diazoxide Treatment for Congenital Hyperinsulinism
- Maternal Gluten Intake Associated With Risk for Type 1 Diabetes in Offspring
- Domestic Refrigeration May Pose Underestimated Risk for Insulin Quality
- Vitamin D Supplementation Has No Effect on Musculoskeletal Health
- Deep Learning Algorithm Efficiently Detects Vision-Threatening Diabetic Retinopathy
- Industry-Funded Trials Often Involve Employees in Studies
- Nutrition Tips for Physicians: Staying Healthy During Busy Days
- Early-Onset Asthma/Wheezing Associated With Later Childhood Obesity