Weird ICD-10 Codes: Who Knew You'd Ever Need These?
Occupant of Animal-Drawn Vehicle Injured by Fall (V80.02XA)
Naturally from or being thrown from animal-drawn vehicle in noncollision accident. This is what happens when you laugh at Rudolph and call him names.
Toxic Effect of Contact with Portuguese Man o' war, intentional self harm (T63.612A)
Don't touch it. Don't touch it. You touched it.
Bitten by Orca (W56.21X)
Reserved for workers at Sea World mainly.
Other Contact With Pig (W55.49X)
What contact you ask? Well, it's got to be something other than bitten (W55.41X) or struck (W55.42X). Those have codes of their own.
Discord With Boss and Workmates (Z56.4)
Fighting like cats and dogs earns you a code.
Shock Due to Being Struck By Lightning (T75.01X)
We can see how this could be shocking.
Opera House as the Place of Occurrence of the External Cause (Y92.253)
Follow-up question: Was a phantom involved?
Chicken Coop as the Place of Occurrence of External Cause (Y92.72)
Only under egg-ceptional circumstances should you enter a chicken's home.
Prolonged Stay in Weightless Environment (X52.XXX)
Because astronauts are patients too.
Bizarre Personal Appearance (R46.1)
In case you're feeling particularly judgy, there's a code for that.
Unspecified Place in Prison as the Place of Occurrence of the External Cause (Y92.149)
Injuries occurring in the kitchen, dining room, bathroom, cell, swimming pool (?), and courtyard all have their own codes.
Fear of Injury (F40.233)
Who doesn't have this fear? Oh wait.
Burn Due to Water Skis on Fire (V91.07X)
Impressive and worthy of its own code.
Walked Into Lamppost (W22.02X)
This is the before picture.
Very Low Level of Personal Hygiene (R46.0)
Sage medical advice: Rub some dirt on it.
Sucked Into Jet Engine (V97.33X)
You never know when this code will come in handy, plane and simple.
Discord With Neighbors, Lodgers and Landlord (Z59.2)
Can't we all just get along?
Fall On Board Merchant Ship (V93.30X)
Not to be confused with falling on cruise ship due to alcohol use, unspecified with intoxication, uncomplicated (F10.920).
Activity, Drum and Other Percussion Instrument Playing (Y93.J2)
Reserved for overenthusiastic Muppets.
Struck By Tennis Racket (W21.12X)
No 'love' involved with this move.
Problems in Relationship With In-Laws (Z63.1)
This is a code that's probably worth remembering, especially around the holidays!
It's just a typical Saturday, you're riding your horse-drawn cart into town when suddenly you have a noncollision accident which throws you to the ground. You lie there, and for the life of you, you can't remember the ICD-10 code for this very scenario.
Well, we've got you covered. Peruse our list of obscure ICD-10 codes at your leisure and be prepared for any eventual noncollision horse-cart accidents.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Long-Term Efficacy and Safety of Dapagliflozin for Type 1 Diabetes
- Measuring Time in Range During CGM May Be Useful Outcome Metric for Clinical Trials
- HbA1c Variability in General Population Increases Risk for Cardiovascular Events, All-Cause Mortality
- Safety and Effectiveness of the Most Common Bariatric Procedures Examined
- AHA, ADA Announce Joint Education Initiative to Reduce CVD Deaths in T2D
- High Circulating Prolactin Concentrations May Lower Risk for Type 2 Diabetes
- Online Tool Helps Patients With Advance Care Planning
- Dapagliflozin Lowers Heart Failure Hospitalization Rates in High-Risk Patients With Diabetes
- Direct-Acting Antiviral Therapy Reduced Risk for Incident T2D in Patients With Hepatitis C Infection
- Technological Breakthroughs in Medicine Move Physician-Patient Interactions From The Computer Screen Back to the Exam Room