Investigators examined whether short-term treatment with an angiotensin II receptor blocker and/or vitamin D3 reduced PTH levels.
Vitamin D levels in preterm infants are significantly correlated with optimal calcium homeostasis and bone mineralization of the femur.
Further research is needed on whether high 25(OH)D might prevent type 2 diabetes or transition of prediabetes to diabetes.
Ethnicity,race, markers of insulin resistance, and genetic factors might help identify obese youth at risk for developing fatty liver.
Further clinical trials are needed to explore the potential beneficial effect of vitamin D supplementation, via fortified foods and/or dietary supplements, on insulin resistance, and possibly on weight management.
The USPSTF has released recommendations for vitamin D and calcium supplementation for the primary prevention of fractures in community-dwelling adults.
Researchers evaluated the association between low maternal vitamin D status in early pregnancy and the likelihood of childhood obesity in the offspring.
In this review, 2 independent investigators searched clinical trial databases for studies that evaluated the link between vitamin D supplements and bone health in adult patients with epilepsy.
New findings do not support routine vitamin D and calcium supplementation in community-dwelling older adults for lowering the incidence of osteoporosis-related fractures.
Vitamin D supplement use is linked to reduced depressive symptoms and cardiac events for patients with moderate to severe depressive symptoms.
Study finds for the first time that during pregnancy the associations between serum 25OHD concentration and 2 single nucleotide polymorphisms are stronger in mothers of children with T1D.
Serum vitamin D levels may impact Epstein-Barr virus in people with MS, according to research presented at ECTRIMS-ACTRIMS 2017.
Previous trials suggested that vitamin D supplementation reduces rates of both influenza and other respiratory infections.
Researchers assessed the relationship between serum vitamin D levels, number of patches, and disease severity and duration.
Following experimental sunburn, patients receiving high-dose vitamin D3 had reduced inflammatory mediators vs placebo.
Healthy middle-age patients who took colecalciferol did not have a reduced risk for fall or fracture.
A systematic review of 71 studies tied occupation type to likelihood of vitamin D deficiency.
Patients with lower vitamin D levels had higher cIMT and were at elevated risk for cardiovascular conditions.
No difference was noted among groups related to insulin sensitivity following vitamin D supplementation.
No between-group differences for factors such as glycemic control, endogenous glucose production, and insulin sensitivity were found.
Serum 25(OH) D levels were associated with chronic tension-type headaches, musculoskeletal pain, and muscle weakness.
Findings in postmenopausal women with T2DM; correlations prominent in those with higher 25(OH)D
Study results question the efficacy of monthly vitamin D supplementation as a method to prevent CVD.
Patients with vitamin D deficiency had significantly higher total cholesterol, non-HDL-C, triglycerides, and lipoprotein ratios overall.
Using an immunoassay, researchers determined that vitamin D levels required are lower than the current level recommended by the Institute of Medicine.
Researchers found no improvement in depression scores associated with vitamin D supplementation.
Patients taking tenofovir should aim to maximize the phosphorous in their diet.
Researchers found that vitamin D deficiencies can modify the effect of rosuvastatin in patients with HIV.
Researchers identified a 15-fold increase in diagnoses of vitamin D deficiency in children between 2008 and 2014.
Significantly decreased platelet reactivity occurred in patients who were given a new statin or an increased dose of a previous statin.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Predictors of Success for Insulin-to-Liraglutide Switch for Type 2 Diabetes
- Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab in Diabetes Mellitus
- Safety of DPP-IV Inhibitor, Cardiovascular Events After ACS in Type 2 Diabetes
- Transgender Youth Not Willing to Delay Hormone Therapy for Fertility Preservation
- Pre-Pregnancy Programs May Improve Outcomes in Women With Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- IV Fluid Infusion Rates Do Not Affect Pediatric DKA Neurologic Outcomes
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Psychiatric Morbidity Decreased After Assisted Reproductive Technology Treatment
- Fenofibrate Improves Cholesterol Levels in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk