Generic Name and Formulations:
Azacitidine 100mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution or IV inj after reconstitution and dilution; contains mannitol; preservative-free.
Indications for VIDAZA:
Myelodysplastic syndromes (refractory anemias, chronic myelomonocytic leukemia).
Premedicate for nausea & vomiting. Rotate SC inj sites. Initially 75mg/m2 SC (doses >4mL divide equally into 2 syringes and inject into 2 separate sites, must administer within 1hr of reconstitution) or IV (infuse over 10–40mins, must complete within 1hr of reconstitution) daily for 7 days; repeat cycle every 4 weeks. May increase to 100mg/m2 after 2 cycles if no response and no toxicity. Treat for at least 4–6 cycles. Adjust subsequent doses based on nadir counts, hematologic response, and toxicities (eg, neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, decreased serum bicarbonate, BUN or SCr elevation); see full labeling.
Advanced malignant hepatic tumors.
Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs frequently for response and/or toxicity, at a minimum, prior to each dosing cycle. Renal or hepatic impairment. High tumor burden. Monitor serum bicarbonate, liver chemistries, and serum creatinine prior to initiation and with each cycle. Monitor for tumor lysis syndrome and treat as appropriate. Elderly. Embryo-fetal toxicity. Females and males of reproductive potential should use effective contraception. Pregnancy: avoid; verify status prior to initiation. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Nausea, anemia, thrombocytopenia, vomiting, pyrexia, leukopenia, diarrhea, inj site erythema, constipation, neutropenia, ecchymosis, petechiae, rigors, weakness, hypokalemia; renal failure/tubular acidosis, hepatic coma.
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Efficacy and Safety of Alirocumab in Diabetes Mellitus
- Safety of DPP-IV Inhibitor, Cardiovascular Events After ACS in Type 2 Diabetes
- Adjunctive Metformin for Insulin Resistance in T1D: A Clinical Perspective
- Effect of Fructose, Allulose on Postprandial Glucose Regulation in Type 2 Diabetes
- Sex Hormone Levels May Affect Postmenopausal Heart Disease Risk
- Diabetes Treatments
- Metformin May Decrease Colorectal Cancer Risk Among Males With Diabetes
- SGLT2 Inhibitor, GLP-1 Receptor Agonist Combination Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes: Expert Insights
- Semaglutide May Induce Weight Loss in Type 2 Diabetes Despite BMI
- FDA Clears Omnipod DASH System for Diabetes Management
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy Slows Cognitive Decline in Postmenopausal Women
- Does Maintenance of Certification Status Affect Patient Care?
- Emotional Hyper-Reactivity and Cardiometabolic Risk in Remitted Bipolar Disorder
- Reduced Mortality for Women Undergoing Assisted Reproduction Likely Due to "Healthy Patient Effect"
- Romosozumab Followed by Denosumab Effective for BMD Increase in Postmenopausal Women