Generic Name and Formulations:
Eluxadoline 75mg, 100mg; tabs.
Indications for VIBERZI:
Treatment of irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D).
Take with food. 100mg twice daily. Patients with mild or moderate hepatic impairment, receiving concomitant OATP1B1 inhibitors (see Interactions), or unable to tolerate 100mg dose: 75mg twice daily.
Without a gallbladder. Biliary duct obstruction. Sphincter of Oddi disease or dysfunction. Alcoholism, alcohol abuse/addiction, or >3 alcoholic drinks/day. History of pancreatitis or structural disease of the pancreas (including pancreatic duct obstruction). Severe hepatic impairment. History of chronic or severe constipation or sequelae from constipation. Mechanical GI obstruction.
Discontinue if severe constipation develops. Increased risk of sphincter of Oddi spasm and pancreatitis; monitor for new or worsening abdominal pain (eg, acute epigastric or biliary), with or without nausea/vomiting, or associated with liver or pancreatic enzyme elevations; discontinue and treat if symptoms occur; do not restart if biliary duct obstruction or sphincter of Oddi spasm develops. Assess alcohol intake prior to initiation. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Mu-opioid receptor agonist.
Avoid excessive alcohol. Potentiated by OATP1B1 inhibitors (eg, cyclosporine, gemfibrozil, atazanavir, lopinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, tipranavir, rifampin, eltrombopag). May be potentiated by strong CYP inhibitors (eg, ciprofloxacin, gemfibrozil, fluconazole, clarithromycin, paroxetine, bupropion); monitor. Increased risk for constipation with alosetron, anticholinergics, opioids; avoid. May potentiate OATP1B1 and BCRP substrates (eg, rosuvastatin: use lowest effective dose of rosuvastatin) or CYP3A substrates with narrow therapeutic index (eg, alfentanil, cyclosporine, ergots, fentanyl, pimozide, quinidine, sirolimus, tacrolimus); monitor.
Constipation, nausea, abdominal pain; sphincter of Oddi spasm, pancreatitis, hypersensitivity reactions (discontinue if occur).
Endocrinology Advisor Articles
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism: Controversies in Testing and Treatment
- Favorable Outcomes With Second-Generation Insulin Analogs in Type 2 Diabetes
- Treatment With Alemtuzumab May Frequently Induce Thyroid Dysfunction
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer Disease: What's the Connection?
- NT-proBNP May Predict Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes
- Using Latent Class Trajectory Analysis to Determine Glucose Response Curve Patterns
- First CGM System With Implantable Glucose Sensor Approved
- Empagliflozin, Linagliptin Combination Therapy vs Linagliptin Monotherapy for Type 2 Diabetes
- Risk for Below Knee Amputations With Canagliflozin vs Other Antihyperglycemic Agents
- Two Phases of C-Peptide Decline Identified in Type I Diabetes
- Effect of SGLT2 Inhibitors on Heart Failure-Related Hospitalization, Below-Knee Amputation
- Nutraceuticals Containing Equol May Be Effective for Postmenopausal Symptoms
- Conservative Monitoring Strategy for Non-Functioning Pituitary Adenomas Evaluated
- FDA: Some Rx Drugs May Become Available Without Seeing a Doctor
- PM2.5 Contributes to Burden of Diabetes Mellitus Globally